Want to Install a Power Amp in a New S-Type

Hello all. This is my first post and I hope you can help.

I have a new S-Type that I purchased with the standard sound system. Every thing is fine, but I need a bit more "umph" in the music department.

I've been told by the dealership that the upgraded sound system can only be installed at the factory so I am looking for alternatives.

When I look down in the spare tire well, I see some unused connectors on the driver's side below where the premium sound package with CD changer would normally be installed.

I'm guessing / hoping that those connectors may be for the audio system and that maybe the wires run all the way back to the head-end radio / CD player unit in the dash.

My plan is to install a new amp in the car and it'd be great if I could wire it into the stock system with a minimum of work.

Does anybody have any thoughts on adding amplifiers to a new S-Type or suggestions on using any of the existing stuff?

Or. . . was the dealer right about how a premium sound system can only be installed by those clever blokes back on the British assembly line.

It'd be great if I could just "plug-in" to connectors that are already there.

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can offer me.

Cheers!

Jim

Reply to
deadeye dick

I don't really have answers to your questions, but -

I have a 2003 S-type with the premium sound package. I believe the premium sound package includes upgraded speakers, a higher-end power amp, and six-CD changer. In the trunk, on the driver's side, there is a storage area with a door that houses both the CD changer and the power amplifier. The in-dash head unit provides access to both the single in-dash CD player and the six-CD changer in the trunk. The question is whether or not the cars without the premium audio are wired for it anyway, and I don't know the answer to that. I would tend to guess that they aren't, since this is only a factory-installed option, but I have no idea what those wires are that you're seeing.

My guess would be, however, that a fair amount of re-wiring would be necessary, regardless. My advice would be to get someone at Jaguar service to answer your questions, or find a local high-end car audio store with a pro installer to help you.

By the way, after comparing the different systems, I decided that I had to have an S-type with the premium audio. The only car in my area at the time that was in the color I wanted (British racing green), and had premium sound, ALSO had the V8, which I didn't really need. I got the car anyway, so I view it as a very expensive audio system. :) I really enjoy it, though, and couldn't imagine having a car without this audio system or something comparable ever again. It sounds 100% better than the Bose system that I had in my previous car (an Acura).

Michael W. Chicago, IL, USA

"deadeye dick" snipped-for-privacy@n>I have a new S-Type that I purchased with the standard sound system. Every

Reply to
KeybdWizrd