Wanted: Jaguar XKE as a daily runner

Wanted: Jaguar XKE as a daily runner --I am looking to purchase an XKE with a chevy conversion engine that I would not have to worry about mechanically for 10k or under...I live in the Los Angeles area. I would appreciate any suggestions...

Reply to
John Holloway

Do you mean XJS or perhaps XJ6/XJ12? While I own an XJS with a Chevy V8, and many own XJ's with them, I feel that anyone who puts a Chevy V8 into an XKE should be shot on sight : )

Richard

Reply to
someotherguy

The simple answer is don't - you don't really need a conversion to have a daily driver.

1) Replace Lucas generator and regulator, or Lucas Alternator and regulator with a Delco combined alternator/regulator 2) Replace Lucas distributor with Mallory "pointless" distributor 3) Replace Lucas starter with the Japanese variety available from many vendors 4) replace SU fuel pump with US aftermarket pump available many places

Then you are left with a very original, but very reliable car. The Jaguar XK engine has proved itself over close to 50 years as being every bit as reliable as anything made in Detroit once the electrical demons are taken care of (they even install larger versions of this XK engine in Tanks!)

Reply to
Gordon J. Gibson