X300 gearbox warning light on

hiya all,

I've a '95 X300 4 litre in the UK. The car ran just fine until I started it after leaving work. It had been stood in an underground car park all day. After starting, the engine was a bit lumpy, so I revved it a couple of times then reversed out of my space. Into drive and then after about 100 yards at

5 mph (the car park speed limit) the engine cut out and I rolled to a stop. The engine started but the amber gearbox warning light stayed lit. I restarted the engine another three times but the warning light stayed on, so I drove it home in limp mode (about 8 miles) I parked in the drive, left it for 5 minutes and then restarted and the warning light went out as it should. I thrashed the car for about ten minutes to see if anything would break but all was fine. I've just got back off hols and started it and the warning light is off. Any ideas on what may have caused it? Could the fact that the car was moving when the engine shut down have something to do with it? Any help with this is gratefully received 'cos I use the car on a daily basis and don't want to drive it if it should be in the garage.

Thanx in advance.

pottsy

Found the problem and sorted it!!! T'was the idle speed control valve and throttle body full of crap. Dismantled it, cleaned it and after a couple of days for the computer to re-learn the settings it's just as it should be.

Still not entirely sure as to why this put up a gearbox warning light tho'!

pottsy