X300 Water temp

Hi, I have a question about my '97 3.200. After I turn the engine off with the engine hot, sometimes upon switching it on again (like 5 mins later) I find the temp needle goes almost in the red zone. It settles back to norm however almost immediately, within 10 seconds or so.

I have noticed that when that happens, the engine cooling fans hadn't been on. Do the fans stay on with the engine off only above a certain ampient air temp, everything else being equal? Or should I be checking something (thermostats?)before I regret it?

Thanks for the attention!

Dimitri

Reply to
Lorenzo