xj40 head gasket

I'm in the middle of tearing down my 3.6 to change the head gasket. but having problems getting the cam sprockets off. Any suggestions?

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Hello,

Have you removed the chain tensioner?

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Yes, and removed the bolts & bend over tabs.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Remove the upper chain guide (the one between the cams), you'll se their bolts under the chain. Ince that is done you should be able to remoce the inner can sprocket. (My cam sproket had a large snap ring in the outer cam gear )

If still stuck use a soft faced mallet to gently tap it out.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Remove the upper chain guide (the one between the cams), you'll see their bolts under the chain. Once that is done you should be able to remove the inner cam sprocket. (My cam sprocket had a large snap ring in the outer cam gear )

If still stuck use a soft faced mallet to gently tap it out.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

That did it, now if I can only break the head loose from the block !!

Terry

Reply to
Terry Kangas

Hi.

Although you can reuse the head bolts, I never do. I would take two of your old bolts and cut off the boltheads; these will make great guides on removal and assembly. Taper the edges of the fabricated guides and screw them into the block at opposing ends.

With guides in place I use a rubber mallet to thump the head in all directions then I put one hand in cylinder 1 exhaust and my other in cyl 1 intake. With one quick and fierce upward jerk I have popped most heads; I use scarry methods on tuff ones. (Like an oak dowel in a port)

HTH Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson