XJ6 1991: Hood won't open

The driver-side latch doesn't release. Is there a trick to force it release without tearing open the front panel?

Regards Amin

Reply to
Amin Mohadjer

My 1986 XJ6 had this problem.....If you stood at the front of the car, put your knee up against the bonnet and pushed it towards the screen the bonnet release would pop open.....Worth a try

Reply to
Alistair Ross

Lift the side that does open a little and pull on the cable underneath the catch a few times

Reply to
jaguardomain.co.uk

Amin,

Wow what a nightmare! I never thought about a cable failure and it looks nearly impossible, but only nearly.

On the side that releases...take a block of wood and use it to hold open that side as much as reasonably possible. Now take a heavy wire, one that can be fashioned into a hook , and using your imaginary x-ray vision slide it under the other side and try to catch the lever and pull it open. If you do think you have hooked the lever, then remove the block on the other side before pulling the release open .

I would recommend that you use cloth tape to protect painted surfaces. WARNING! THE BATTERY IS NEAR!

I think I will affix some heavy fishing twine through the bulhead for an emergency backup release.

Blake

Reply to
DieInterim

Thanks for pointing this out - I'm planning on adjusting my bonnet catch as it keeps popping open - think I'll tie something around the release, at least while I'm adjusting stuff...

Reply to
273

The catches can stich, common problem, once open you need to open the catch out with a flat headed screwdriver and work it a few times, apply some grease!!

-------------------------------------

Reply to
jaguardomain.co.uk

The catches can stick, common problem, once open you need to open the catch out with a flat headed screwdriver and work it a few times, apply some grease!!

Reply to
jaguardomain.co.uk

Any ideas on how to stop the Bonnet [hood] popping open while I'm driving?

Reply to
273

On my 85 XJ12 there is a 1/2" rubber plug in the upper rear of the front wheel wells, that if you remove them, one can use a screwdriver to push on the latch mechanism to release it. DBR Amin Mohadjer wrote: The driver-side latch doesn't release. Is there a trick to force it release without tearing open the front panel? Regards Amin

Reply to
Dale Robertson

Sounds like the cable needs adjusting!! Slide a fibre wedge into each catch to partially close them, make sure the hood will still close, but just touches the catches on closing. With wedges still positioned tighten all cables!!

jaguardomain.co.uk

Of course , remove fibre wedges once cables are tightened, catches should remain partially closed, held in position by the cable.

jaguardomain.co.uk