XJ6 4.2 questions

Hi folks.

I'm UK based, and I was thinking about going the XJ6 4.2 route as they're fairly cheap here and I want something comfy for my rather long journeys ... I've seen one on eBay that's going "cheap cheap", but the bugger's only doing 20 to the gallon (and that's a UK gallon too!). Am I right in thinking a decently setup XJ6 4.2 should be getting nearer to

25 on a long run at steady speeds? And, if so, is the auto-enrichment device the likely culprit? I'm presuming here that a manual choke conversion is a possibility?

Any and all info welcomed ... the owner claims "40" oil pressure (is this in PSI?) at tickover, cold, and 25-30 when warmed up. The car's apparently had heaps spent on the mechanicals, but the bodywork's been given a rather cheap blow-over, and will require some TLC to put right, but there's 9 months tax & MOT on it, so I could run it for a while and then either have it sorted or use the time to save for a better one ... but 20 mpg on a run is a bit too much even for my generous nature :)

Reply to
Bear