XJ6 engine plate - What do the numbers mean ???

Hi, Could someone explain to me what the numbers on the plate on the drivers side wheel well mean. Mine read as follows.

UH2T68544BW 8L55745L

5T37310 02541327

I am hoping that by these numbers I can confirm the year of the car (Prev owner said it was a 1977), and the engine size.

Thanks in advance, Garett

Reply to
boat73

Garrett, From what I see, the UH2 means you have a 1977 XJC (2-door coupe) and the 8L5 means it has a 4.2 litre XK engine -- made late in the series.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Great, thabks. To your knowledgr is this information documented anywhere?

Reply to
boat73

I stand corrected on the car being a two door Coupe. The T in the UH2T means it is a long version of the XJ6 4 door saloon

and this as well
At any rate, the UT means it is a 1977.http://www.seattlejagclub.org/xj6c/ ALL of the US XJ6 motorcars that were manufactured for the US market had 4.2 liter motors. Here is an Identification page from SNG Barrett.
As I work with older Jags and I am not familiar with the newer chassis numbers, I was thrown by the chassis configuration. But what these pages confirm is that you are driving a 1977 (confirmed by the UH), Jaguar XJ6L Series II long saloon (2T), Left Hand Drive with a 4.2 liter XK engine. I believe it should have Zenith Stromberg Carbs. Webserve

Reply to
webserve