XJ6 Series 1 Engine Swap 2.8 to 3.4

Hello,

I'm new to this group and I hope the Jag experts here can help me! I live in the US and have a 69 series 1 rhd car with a 2.8 litre engine and a manual/overdrive transmission. This car has manual windows and does not have A/C. The engine is incomplete and seized. I won't consider repairing it because of design problems.

I would like use the original 3.4 (not the SII XJ engine). I don't need a lot of power and a 2.4 even crossed my mind but they are scarce here and the XJ is too heavy - though mine is about as light as they come!

Are there any serious incompatibility problems with this swap? A different bell housing and clutch would be required as the 2.8 has a short deck and the starter position differs slightly from other XK engines I've seen. Does the 3.4 have the same deck height as the 4.2? Is the bell housing pattern the same as a 4.2? Can I use 4.2 clutch parts on the 3.4? If I must use a 3.4 bell housing will my transmission bolt up to it.

Any help is appreciated!

Bob

Reply to
Bob M.

I cannot answer you fully but you will probably find both engine mountings and manifolds are different, when I did something similar, many years ago it was a major aggravation, which I wished I hadnt started.

Reply to
old man

Bob, Stop and think of what you will have in the end- a bastardized old Jag with all the normal aggravations, plus it will have zero value as a collector in the future- Part out the one you've got and start fresh with one you can drive.

Reply to
JimInsolo