XJ8 ( 2000 ) Instrument panel bulb failure.

Can anyone explain ( simply ) how to access failed bulbs in speedometer . Thanks in anticipation. Geo.b

Reply to
Geo.B

I've not specifically replaced the bulbs, but I've had the instrument panel out. It's not that difficult to get to, but does need some disassembly.

Start off by extending the steering column and putting it into it's lowest position (if you've got the memory one, turn the auto bit off so it stays in that position once you take the key out), then disconnect the battery (make sure you have your radio code).

Now you need to pull off the wooden trim that surrounds the instruments. Take the centre one (around the airvents and clock) off first. These just pull straight off. You can gently prise them out - they are actually veneer on a metal backing plate, so it won't snap. They are held in by four clips, one at each corner. These clips just grip four lugs on the panel, making it a tight friction fit - you don't have to do anything other than pull straight out. Try using a flat tool under one lower corner of the centre panel to get it moving. I know this part is extremely worrying the first time you do it!

With that out of the way, the panel around the instrument console is easier to pull off just using your fingers.

Next, the fog lamp and trip computer switches need to be removed. Just pull these out then unplug them.

There are four very obvious philips screws to undo to remove the black plastic shroud in front of the instruments. Next you'll see two multi-way connectors at the bottom of the instrument panel. These have a plastic latch on them that you swing across to release them and push the connector out of the socket. Tuck the connectors under the instruments (trying your best to ignore the Ford logo on them!), and the panel will then slide out.

Hopefully it should then be obvious how to get at the lamps.

In the best Haynes manual tradition, re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly :-) Officially you should also replace the metal clips that secure the fascia panels, I didn't and have had no problems.

It isn't difficult, just a little worrying the first time you pull that lovely walnut off your car...

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Many thanks for your advice, will keep you posted. Only thing I don't have is the radio code, is it safe to work with battery connected ??.

Reply to
Geo.B

I have pulled the panel with power connected with no obvious ill effects

- but that is at your risk; there is the (possibly remote) possibility that you'll cause a problem by (for example) the ground line to the electronics on the panel disconnecting first as you pull the plugs, and then odd currents flowing around the board potential damaging the semiconductors on there.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Haigh

Many thanks, will contact main dealer and establish radio code before commencing. Should have done this when first discovered code details missing on purchase, previous owner unable to assist.

Reply to
Geo.B