XJ8 Wins Top Gear Motoring survey

The XJ8 has won the satisfaction survey in the Top Gear Magazine survey. Over 43,000 viewers and readers were polled for cars between '99 and '02.

The XK8/R came 30th and the S-Type came 42nd.

The X-Type? Well that was 104th well below the Mondeo even. Seems like I was right.

They also have a gripes page where owners leave messages about how fed up they are with their car. The X-Type page seems to have quite a few fed up people:-

Some quotes:-

"To say I am utterly unimpressed with the car would be an understatement."

"I am less than impressed with Jaguar - I wish I'd ordered a BMW!"

"I won't ever buy another Jaguar "

"The car was over £32k new and has been a complete nightmare"

"This was a bit of a dream purchase, but I'm now lookking to replace with a BMW."

"I spent over £20k on a car that I loved, but soon hated."

"It was the realisation of a lifelong dream for me to own a Jaguar, but I'm sorry to say the dream has become a nightmare, and I wish I'd never walked into the Jaguar showroom."

"One thing's for certain - I'll never buy another Jaguar, and it'll be a BMW or Mercedes next time."

"The X-Type is the most unreliable vehicle that I have owned, "

The complaints all seem to follow a similar pattern. They buy their "dream" car only to be very disappointed. I know for economic reasons Jaguar probably had to build the X-Type but I don't think they will benefit from this sort of reaction.

They should have stuck to what they are good at. People should also realise that a new £19 car is never going to be the same as a £45k car.

Not unsurprisingly there are no complaints for the XJ.

Tim

4.0L XJR8 and happy with it.
Reply to
Tim

Some of us in the USA have bought X-Types, in addition to being your country's primary consumer of cars. Having owned an X -Type for a month, is a great vehicle, awesome fit and finish, great performance, my wife and I are very happy with the vehicle. By the way, I owned a 1993 XKE and understand Jag's feel for excellence. At least the X does not have Lucas parts. As I have expressed in earlier threads, not all of us are rich and can afford the top of the line. However, my wife always wanted to have a Jag, and the X is perfect. I expect to be flamed and I do not care. My impression was that this is a group where Jag owners got mutual support. Sorry, my mistake. Just another flame site. Paul, Saugus, MA, USA

Reply to
taltos

Reply to
taltos

Paul, I too bought an X-type, (special ordered it, too) I have not one complaint about it, in anyway, shape or form. I love the car. My wife loves the car. It was worth the 3 month wait.

By the way, if you read the article mentioned, and see the X-type in 104th place, just after that in place 105, is the Mondeo (pre-Oct 00).

Wayne

Some of us in the USA have bought X-Types, in addition to being your country's primary consumer of cars. Having owned an X -Type for a month, is a great vehicle, awesome fit and finish, great performance, my wife and I are very happy with the vehicle. By the way, I owned a 1993 XKE and understand Jag's feel for excellence. At least the X does not have Lucas parts. As I have expressed in earlier threads, not all of us are rich and can afford the top of the line. However, my wife always wanted to have a Jag, and the X is perfect. I expect to be flamed and I do not care. My impression was that this is a group where Jag owners got mutual support. Sorry, my mistake. Just another flame site. Paul, Saugus, MA, USA

Reply to
twgmckin

I agree..I love my X and for the money it's MUCH MUCH better than my last car (a mondeo) and MUCH better (for me) then the others I tested, BMW (every bugger has one), Audi (Nice but still not as good as the X), Merc (a taxi in disguise), Lexus (Nice but japanese), SAAB (Cheap looks, cheap feel and cheap sales staff)

Sure we'd all love a new 45,000 pound XJ but thats life....

And I think we should all support each other....if tim looks Im sure he could find facts about any of the other named cars where people have been disappointed etc...

I think some jag owners just get upset when us 'lesser mortals' buy one. But ther seem to be in the minority...

Pete

Reply to
pete

Americans own Jag's, our other car is a 1994 Ford Ranger p/u/4x4. When we traded in for the new Jag we traded a 1993 Tempo. Guys, for the past 10 years, Jag has just been a very expensive and reliable Ford (see volvo) I love the X and will probably buy another Jag in the future, but lets quit being elitest. This shit does not work in America. Keep in mind, if you love the marque, the X will save it. Just check out forbes to prove my point. Hopefully, we can all start to get along and respect all models from this fine firm. Paul

Reply to
taltos

The trouble with these surveys is you have to be motivated to respond.

'We asked our readers' - yeah right - so if you are entirely happy with your car you are less motivated to join the survey than somebody driving a duffer - who has an axe to grind (making you extremely motivated). And while Mr Happy may award reasonable points to features of his car, Mr Grumpy will give all zeroes. It only takes a small margin of Mr Grumpys to take a car down the ratings.

A few years ago, all we heard in the UK was how reliable Japanese cars were. Utter crap. All it indicated is that the high mileage company cars were showing the symptoms of high use and that the very low mileage Nissans driven by little old grannies were showing none of these.

lies, damned lies, statistics.

2001 X Type - PERFECT from Day One. In my opinion, Jaguar is the best manufacturer and dealer in the UK of the best cars. My X Type is my first Jag. It certainly won't be my last. I would NEVER have bought a Jag if the X Type had not been available and now I am a customer for life. Tim and his snobbery are a dying breed.
Reply to
DavidG