XJS clutch, slave cylinder operational

Just jacked the car up to find out which half of the system was at fault. I video?d the slave cylinder and it was clearly moving. I am about to take the box off to examine the clutch. ~~Just curious to if anyone had any tricks of trade info regarding this operation?

Many thanks,

Discouri

"Discouri" wrote: > Just jacked the car up to find out which half of the system > was at fault. I video'd the slave cylinder and it was clearly > moving. I am about to take the box off to examine the clutch. > ~~Just curious to if anyone had any tricks of trade info > regarding this operation? > > Many thanks, > > G

think the seal is goosed on the slave, stripped it down today and tested the vacuum. Although I think if this where the only problem you?d perhaps only have to change gear quick. Next job is to pop it back on and bleed the system. Just to double check before I go further.

Been working on a few other bits, main job was re-routing power through to the stereo. Taken it from the cigar lighter which i?ve thrown away. The small hole that is left I want to fit a charging cradle for my mobile. The stereo automatically picks up the bluetooth signal and deals with calls internally.

Just waiting for a friend this evening to pop round so I can lie under the car and manually force the pivot arm on the clutch. This should hopefully release everything to check all gears can be selected.

Stuck on doing much more until my engine stand arrives to take the weight as I remove the clutch housing.

Reply to
Discouri

Best of luck!

Reply to
Blake Dodson

"" wrote: > Best of luck!

Just finished re-building the slave with its new seals. The pressure fells alot better under foot. Need some fuel now so I can see if its remedied the problem. I dont think we?ve fixed the problem as I still cant engage reverse. The engine brace has arrived so I have set this up ready for me to crack straight on with removing the gearbox if required.

Reply to
Discouri

"Discouri" wrote: > Just finished re-building the slave with its new seals. The > pressure fells alot better under foot. Need some fuel now so > I can see if its remedied the problem. I dont think we've > fixed the problem as I still cant engage reverse. > The engine brace has arrived so I have set this up ready for > me to crack straight on with removing the gearbox if required.

Great news! I?ve just travelled to the edge of the estate! The clutch is slipping a little though. Its dark now so I?m leaving things till the morning. Its probable the clutch plate is contaminated or very low. Try a few things tomorrow and get the rest of the little jobs sorted for MoT.

So it looks like it was a leaky seal on the slave all the time. Either that or when I set the cradle up to support the engine the movement may have released the bearing.

On refill I used Dot4 fluid and flushed through half a litre first.

Until tomorrow, Bye

Reply to
Discouri

"Discouri" wrote: > Great news! I've just travelled to the edge of the estate! > The clutch is slipping a little though. Its dark now so I'm > leaving things till the morning. Its probable the clutch > plate is contaminated or very low. Try a few things tomorrow > and get the rest of the little jobs sorted for MoT. > > So it looks like it was a leaky seal on the slave all the > time. Either that or when I set the cradle up to support the > engine the movement may have released the bearing. > > On refill I used Dot4 fluid and flushed through half a litre > first. > > Until tomorrow, Bye

A problem that I have found is the fuel relay keeps tripping. After about five or ten minutes the relay goes berserk constantly opening and closing the connection, hence the fuel cuts and the engine dies. I get around this by bridging a wire straight from the top pin to the bottom pin on the plug. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks, G

Reply to
Discouri