XJS In Storage For 4.5 Years

I have a late 1989 XJS that has been placed in in-door storage in Southern California for the past 4 1/2 years. I plan on putting it back on the road very soon- if it's viable. It's been left untouched and I know it will take some work to get it running again. What problems/ issues should I expect?

Note, it was in exceptional shape when put into storage- 55,000 miles and no problems. Since that time the tires have of course gone flat and much dust has settled on it. I'm not so concerned w/ the tires- easy to fix. I'm more concerned w/ the engine as it not been run all this time and, upon examining it, I noticed that quite a bit of oil has leaked out under it over time.

The challenge seems a bit overwhelming since, despite its good condition and low mileage, the value of the car is not as high as it should be in the Southern California market. What kind of $$$$ will be required to get it road worthy again?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Reply to
Dan C

Hello,

I am simply reposting a thread written a few years ago.

Well next time you attempt to start a car that has sat for years, I would recommend the following before cranking - (Remember, I am "retentive" and stuck in my ways. ;O))

1.Drain and replace the oil and filter, substituting 1qt motor oil for 1qt Rislone/transmission fluid. (Oil gets contaminated with moisture and may have begun to lose its lubricating properties and begin to sludge. Rislone/transmission fluid is high detergent and will quickly breakdown any sludge that will stick the rings/valves.) 2. Carefully remove wires from spark plugs, clean debris from around the plugs, remove plugs and add one teaspoon of oil into each cylinder. Insert new spark plugs, lightly, lightly oil threads. 3. Drain fuel tanks and add fresh fuel. (Fuel is most likely moisture contaminated and is breaking down into varnish.) 4.Change fuel and air filters. 5.Wiggle, giggle, and clean all electrical connections in the engine compartment. (Unplug, clean, reconnect.) 6.Disconnect the incoming fuel line to the fuel rails and purge the fuel lines into a container. (Turn key to the on position (Not start)and purge the old fuel/debris from the lines.) Repeat. Reconnect fuel line. 7.Start engine and run until fully warm. 8.After 50+ miles, change oil and filter. 9.Pull plugs and perform a compression test. Re-install plugs. 10.Now you are ready to troubleshoot if needed.

NOTE: These engine distributors are notorious for cracking caps and rotors which allow moisture into the mechanics. Inspect for damage and a stuck advance mechanism.

HTH, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Blake, T.G., thanks so much for your input as I'm sure the information provided will prove helpful. Just one question though....... As it relates to draining the fuel tank. I did take the step of adding a fuel stabilizer to the tank prior to putting her in storage. Given the amount of time that's passed would it still be advisable to drain the tank?

Thanks,

DC

Reply to
Dan C

It was a good idea to add the fuel stabilizer to the fuel before storing the car. I'd try it without draining the tank, the engine's performance may be a bit sub par but you don't have the mess of the old fuel and its subsequent disposal.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Gentlemen,

I have read your thread and have a quick question. I will be shipping my

1990 XJS (100,000 miles) to the Middle East. The shipping process will take up to three months. I make sure my vehicle is fired up for 15 minutes twice a week if not driven for at least that long. Should I consider a fuel stabilizer before I put the car on the boat? Also, is there any other advice you might be able to offer in readying the car for shipping?
Reply to
dlbowker