xjs rear brakes

i have a nice 5.3 l v12 1989 xjs ,all the inside has been totaly redone and is perfect,bodywork and new bumpers perfect,engine 86000 miles and again runs perfect but today got it out today for the summer as it is dry stored for the winter ,took it in to a jag shop as rear brakes grinding, they found i need new rear discs,pads and 1 caliper total cost £1550 so beware if you are thinking of buying one, yes they are the best v12 they made, fun to drive, most parts are cheap, insurance cheap £235 but you must be expected to pay out loads of money when needed.

Reply to
david

That sounds a lot to me, I use an independant Jag service centre and had a new caliper fited two years ago with new pads and handbrake pads, £250. Its a bit more of a job to fit the discs but not 1200 quids worth!!

If you have not had the job done yet then go somewhere else, overall I have found all jobs reasonable on the XJS - Touch wood!!

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Replace the steering rack or heater core sometime '-)

Reply to
bill

Done both, steering rack was £486 fitted and the radiator recored at £225. Don't forget these cars were £40,000 + when new so the parts are going to be dearer than cars costing £10,000. Still overall I have found them at all times reasonable and very rewarding. I am selling my XJS as I have bought an XK8, just had a front wheel bearing done at £75, I thought that was reasonable

Nick

Reply to
Nick