XJS Rear Diff

I'm just in the process of stripping my rear diff as its developed a problem. Both the wheels are attempting to turn at the same speed, so when I turn a corner one tyre scuffs. If I jack both wheels off the floor and turn one, then the other turns in the same direction, normally it should turn in the other direction or not at all.

When taking the diff off I noticed something that looks like a solinoid attached to the back with a wire going through the boot floor. What is this and could it be something to do with my problem ?

I know that there are clutches in the rear diff, what do they do ?

If anyone has had this problem before then advice would be appreciated.

One other thing, the car has been stood for some time under restoration when this problem first came to light. When it first happened I had the engine running in D with 1 wheel off the floor spinning as I was checking some new brakes I had fitted.

Stu

ps:- Blake I tried driving in figure 8's but it didnt work.

Reply to
Stuart Adair

In message , Stuart Adair writes

That's because it is a limited slip diff, it's supposed to do that.

Reply to
David Toft

Stu,

I think that "solenoid" is your speedo sensor.

Power Lock differentials uses clutches to allow some wheels differential, but typically is is only a little bit of slippage. In fact the clutches are always gripping and force is required to "slip them". If the LSD additives were not used your clutches will stick more and shudder (hop) when turning. The additive is a friction modifier and if you run your differential long enough with out this additive it may behave just as you see it and even destroy the clutches. New clutch kits can be purchased.

You have a performace rear end designed to put as much power to the ground as possible. No more one tyre burnouts as with limited slip you can spin both while launching the car. Maybe thats what you should do, launch it hard a few times after you use LSD lube or additives. Read your owners manual for recommended LSD gear oil. Motul and Castrol make some.

Try the cheapest options first before replacing the clutch packs.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Righto - I've already got the rear axle on the bench and part stripped, so I'll let you know what I find over the next couple of days. Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Hey if money is no subject, put a Quaife in there!

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Now dont start those rumours. Money is always of importance. Hell if I was a wealthy man I would just go out and buy a new one. Incidentally David Manners Jags in Birmingham will sell you a rear diff for £985. Better still I could sit down with a large drink and pay someone else to do the job for me - But then think of all the fun I'd miss.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Wow 985 is too much! You could get 2 rebuilds for that, er, maybe because you are paying in Pounds.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Something I've been meaning to ask you - Where are you in the world ?

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

and to tto the North of my house...

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

I bet it gets damn cold there. very pretty though .

Reply to
atec

I moved here because of two things:

Mild winters mild summers

As a child my Father used to read me stories about people lost in the wilderness surviving on berries. I thought that was a bunch of bull, however after touring the Northwest it was apparent that there is an abundance of Raspberries, Blackberries, and if you are really lucky you will discover a rare Salmonberry bush.

I have a couple pics of the volcano blowing recently. Interested? Cheers, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

I had no idea you were from the States.

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Yep. Cheers from the old colony.

Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Surpirses everywhere on uselessnet.

Cheers, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

more news on my rear diff- I got it off the car and part stripped down. It looks as if the block of clutches is completely seized - So I hit it with the biggest hammer I could find and I'm off to the breakers yard. Bloody Jags

Reply to
Stuart Adair