XKR Rear Speaker Woofers Only?

I just bought a ''01 XKR. It's an Alpine system. When I fade to the rear speakers only all I can hear is the sub-woofers. I took it to Jaguar service and after replacing the rear speakers, they told me the Alpine system only had sub-woofers in the rear and no tweeter or midrange. My '98 XK8 with Harmen-Karden (sp) speakers was not this way. Something doesn't seem right.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

They're right. You have the Alpine Premium (and clearly a convertible not a coupe) and there are only two six inch subwoofers in the rear. Many people take the HK enclosures and use them to add mid or tweeters to the rear compartment.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

Thanks Paul. Yes it is a convertible.

BTW How would that be done? Completely remove the subwoofers and put full range speakers, or is there room in there to mount tweeters?

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

You need to pull the rear seat. You remove the subs which are not in enclosures. You then use the enclosures for the 97-00 Jags, the HK premium system, to mount a set of subs and mids and or tweeters. These enclosures are seen on eBay from time to time. Jag sells them but they are expensive. The fastening points are still built into your car. Then you have some choices about how to power them. Most people pick up the outputs from the amp by tapping into the connector under the armrest. Fitting mids into the enclosures appears easy enough but requires some hole cutting. Jag used 2.5 inch mids, a very rare size. You can always get them from Jag. I'll probably go that route myself.

I'm in the process of doing this on my Jag. I want to replace the subs with something better, and add some mid-range speakers. Just waiting for a set of enclosures at a decent price. The problem is finding a set of 6 inch subs. Really the only ones that you can get are JL Audio 6W0-4. Even though they are discontinued you can still get them new from dealers and JL will accept special orders for them.

I suppose you could replace the subs with coax speakers but you'd have to alter the wiring. I am not at all sure how a coax would sound being fed by the sub output from the amp.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook

What's in the enclosures next to the armrests in the rear seat? Are they empty? I thought I heard bass coming out of them.

Reply to
Stephen Horrillo

You did. There are no enclosures. Just a metal panel with a sub-woofer mounted in it on either side below the rear window. That's all that is back there. The HK system had a real enclosure but you can install the enclosure on 01 and later cars.

This will help you out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Cook