01 TJ tranny grind

Ever since that evil drunk dude hit me in my jeep, I occasionally have a somewhat grinding noise putting my jeep into 1st gear from a dead stop...

For instance, I will come off a freeway and stop at a light... jeep in neutral. Then I push in the clutch, move the shifter to 1st and thats when I hear gear grinding. The sound occurs before I release the clutch, and keeping my foot on the clutch moving the shifter back to neutral and then back to 1st it doesn't make the noise again. I get it once in while after stops, but it happens every time I drive it. What's going on? Could the tranny be pushed over or something? I was hit on the left, pushed 10 feet, smacked to a dead stop on my right via a big curb.

Any ideas?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When you shift into N and let the clutch out, the Input Shaft spins away at whatever the idle speed is, but the other gears are stationary. You need to depress the clutch earlier so the stuff slows down before you pick your gear, or shift into a higher gear first so the speed of the Input Shaft more closely matches the capability of the synch rings to mesh, then shift into

1st.

Synch rings are not unlimited in their ability to deal with mis-matched speeds, and the speed of the Input Shaft and the stationary 1st Gear shaft are greater than the synch rings can deal with. The only recovery from this is more time, OR selecting a gear that is not suitable for starting out then reselecting the appropriate gear to start out.

Try watching the light for the cross traffic, and preparing (depress the clutch) for you gear selection when the light turns yellow, then actually make the selection when the light turns green for you. The delay between depressing the clutch and picking your gear will stop the grind ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland