02 4.0 Main Seal Leak?

hi All,

My 02 TJ developed a leaky main seal after the Oil pan had to be replaced due to a mishap with a rock.

I just had the dealer repair the leak and the next day it is leaking again. I have heard rummers that once the 4.0 starts leaking, it never stops.

Is this true? if now, how do I ensure it stops. I am going to give the dealer one more shot (hey i paid my deductable they may as well fix it). After that I am going to do it myself.

Reply to
John

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

If you paid them to fix it, let then fix it until they fix it right...

Reply to
billy ray

The valve cover is actually nice and tight.

That was redone 25,000 miles ago when the head cracked.

By the way, it only has 57000 on it now.

I will keep you posted.

Reply to
John

If your oil pan hit a rock it is most likely deformed at the rear lip right below the main seal. You probably never had your main seal go bad, but your oil pan is deformed now in that spot. Some careful hammering fixed mine. I did the same thing years ago to mine. Also once a 4.0 leaks it can always be fixed. Mine is an 88 with 200k miles on it and it has leaked in the past but is dry now. Whoever said that isnt much of a mechanic. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Thanks for the info,

The old damaged oil pan was replaced with a new one.

Reply to
John

Then the 'mechanic' has no clue....

Both my engines are 'dry'. One has 315K km and the other 6 years on new gaskets.

I even swapped an old oil pan over because one rusted out.

Mike

Mike Romain

Then its your valve cover like Bill said. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

If the CCV/PCV is clogged up the pressure at the top of the engine will blow out the rear main seal...

just my 2 cents

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

I would think the point is he already paid the dealership to repair it and they didn't.

Shouldn't they keep fixing it until they get it right? (or refund his money)

Reply to
billy ray

If you went to a surgeon, and he screwed something up, would you keep going back, until he "got it right?"

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Dealerships, I have found, generally have 1 'mechanic' and the balance of the service department is composed of 'technicians' who are generally capable of performing oil and filter changes, installing batteries, and washing the vehicle if they have a complete library of reference manuals and step by step videos.

If the OP takes it back he can request that the actual 'mechanic' work on his vehicle this time..

As for surgeons ... I generally don't have hacks carving on me.

Reply to
billy ray

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo