02 Grand C, Water on Passenger Floor

Hi All, After going through the fix for A/C condensation water on the passenger side floor of my 1993 Grand Cherokee, I found today that I have the water problem in my 2002 Grand Cherokee. Is the fix nearly the same? The components are different so I thought I'd ask before drilling into the drain system. Thanks D

I can't help you on the '93 since the '96 I owned for years never had any related problems. I've now had the whole HVAC unit out of my '99 two times and I can't imagine what you're planning to drill.

The HVAC box has a plastic tube that sticks through the firewall low on the passenger side. Perhaps yours is plugged. Aside from that, there is a service bulletin about water on the passenger floor.

The design is very simple. The drain is about two inches away and downhill from the evaporator core. Unplug it. There is a foam gasket that fits the firewall around the tube. Check it out.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I don't own the 93 anymore, but I did have the problem on it. I own the 02 now with the same problem cropping up. The 'fix' on the 93 was to drill a hole into the round plate from the inside passenger floor wall and probe from the inside with a coathanger to unplug it. I wanted confirmation before I drill into the 02 plate that the fix is the same. The foam between the round plate and the firewall is in place and is sound, although wet now of course. There is no 'unplugging' that I see without taking the entire unit. The round plate is solid against the firewall. Thanks for your help. D

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

I can't speak to your specific model, but I have used a water pic to clear the drain. Ram the hose up the drain outlet from underneath and let it rip. You can make a pretty good mess in the process, but the spray from that little dental pump is strong enough to break up the accumulated crud and wash it out the drain. I use the same method when I start to get a sour smell out of the unit - just add a couple of teaspoons of bleach to the water

Reply to
Will Honea

the 93-98 and 99-04 models to apply the same procedure.

Use the coat hanger to dig around inside the tube that protrudes through the firewall. Then hit it with a shop vac. And don't dig around too far bacause the evaporator is only a few inches away. 2-3 inches is as far as it needs to go.

You're making a big mistake if you drill a hole in anything on that model.

Worse case, it really isn't that hard to pull the whole HVAC unit out. If you haven't done the blend doors yet then you'll have it apart eventually anyways.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

In article , The Reverend Natural Light wrote: #Worse case, it really isn't that hard to pull the whole HVAC unit #out. If you haven't done the blend doors yet then you'll have it #apart eventually anyways.

Uh, define "it really isn't that hard..."

And the above certainly is not my definition... =)

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

It is total cake, especially with those instructions. It may be 50 pages of instructions, but follow them step by step and most everything comes out in one piece and it all fits back together perfectly. It took two days the first time and one day the second time. $2k at the dealer is robbery.

Real pain is changing the heater core in a Ford Taurus.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light