'02 TJ pinging under load

My '02 TJ, 6-cyl, auto is pinging under load. Sometimes only slight load. Not knocking, but pinging. It has 35000 miles on it. I put in new Champion truck plugs at about 32,000 miles and gapped them correctly to 0.35".

No pinging if I use 89 octane gas, only with 87 octane. Pinging just started a couple of months ago.

Runs fine otherwise. I am guessing re-formulated winter gas (Cleveland, Ohio) is the problem, but there was absolutely no pinging last winter.

Any ideas?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

How would you characterize your usual daily driving style? Conservative? Maybe ultra-conservative? Moderate? Hard-accelerations on a regular basis? Depending on you answer, there could be a reason for the pinging...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

You might try using a different brand and hope you get lucky. Or try the middle cost semi-premium. The missus' '95 4.0 does the same thing under light load at low-moderate rpm where the transmission doesn't downshift under moderate accel. Dealer claims it is harmless but it is annoying enough I just step up one grade at lower elevations.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I guess moderate. 1/2 city, 1/2 freeway. Some fast starts. Freeway speed is usually around 70 mph. Definitely not conservative.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

My 5 month old '03 did the same thing recently when it started to get colder. I suspect the winter gas as well. Using 89 stopped it for me too. I tried to go back to 87 for a couple of tanks but the pinging came back. I'm going to just feed it 89 until spring.

I suppose the tim> My '02 TJ, 6-cyl, auto is pinging under load. Sometimes only slight load.

Reply to
Tim Hayes

Ok, I was going to suggest that it might have a bit of a carbon build-up in the combustion chambers if you drive ultra-conservatively. Carbon can cause pinging by it continuing to glow after the combustion stroke, prematurely igniting the next cycle's air-fuel mixture. The cure is to either blow the carbon out by driving ultra-aggressively or cleaning it out with either a chemical cleaner or carefully and slowly dribbling 12 to 16 ounces of water into the combustion chamber through the air intake while the engine runs.

Jerry

Conservative?

(Cleveland,

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think it might just be the re-formulated winter gas. On some tanks it pings, on others it doesn't.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
mabar