'02 TJ trouble code P0503 -- speed sensor?

Hey guys,

had my idiot light turn on today for the 2nd time (first time a month ago). Did the odometer reset, ignition key turn and got the P0503 trouble code. This was listed in my service manual (that I could find) but searching on the net I found that it is: P0503 Vehicle Speed Sensor Intermittent/Erratic/High

Not sure what this means....any tips?

BTW: any other sympatico members get hosed with them dropping the newsgroups? Thank goodness for google groups!

Reply to
Steve_b

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yup, I raised holy hell too. I had a package that combined unlimited DSL with long distance. With half the internet gone, I canceled and was going to cancel my phone too until they offered me a deal that works out for a faster connection with a discount that makes up for me having to pay a 3rd party for usenet.

As far as your code goes, I would be chasing down connections with a spray contact cleaner. It does those computer signal pug and sockets wonders.

Mike

Mike Romain

So is it the CPS connector I'm after?

I'm afraid I didn't have to do anything the first time...it fixed itself (honestly thought it was the gas tank vapour lock warning as the Jeep had sat for a couple weeks without running).

thanks

Mike Roma> >

Reply to
Steve_b

If the speed sensor plug and socket are dirty, then I also would do the CPS and the TPS and any other I could get my mitts on.

I think the one you are after is the sensor down on the t-case, but could be wrong.

Mike

Steve_b wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have been using Google to post since the b*st*rds at Bell decided to change thingsI'm waiting for them to contact me back as I threatened to move everything (the net, satillite, phone and 3 cells) over to Rogers. Told them that for what they are hosing people for they (bell) should be offering the newsgroup service free. I vcan get exactly the same services with Rogers for about $25 less per month.

Snow

Mike Roma> >

Reply to
Snow

Thanks guys.... I got in there with the contact cleaner and hit those connectors. The trouble light has gone for now (knocks on wood)....hopefully for a while (last time it went out on its own, only to come back amonth later).

cheers steve

Mike Roma> If the speed sensor plug and socket are dirty, then I also would do the

Reply to
Steve_b