03 JGC - "Tire Pressure Sensor Bad/Missing"???

Does anyone know how to reset this error message or make it go away?

I went in for an oil change and on start up from the dealer to leave, this error message came up. Yes, I know they fk'd it up. I disregarded it at first as I thought they rotated my tires & did not retrain the sensors. But they did not rotate the tires and this damn error message won't go away! I changed the tire pressures in all 4 and retrained the sensor. It all registered correctly but on boot up, the self-test spits out this "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR BAD/MISSING" error message.

The service rep had the audacity to tell me it is because my spare tire was missing the sensor - I told him I have a 4-sensor system & my spare tire does not have a sensor. He said he does not understand why for 80k miles I have not had this happen.

The new sensor is $88, the labor is $26. I think I am being ripped.

Can any of you guys/gals help out? It's driving me nuts. This is my 4th JGC and I have NEVER seen this. Have had the car for 80k wonderful miles and going very strong. This has never happen before.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thanks all

Reply to
USA

Don't you just love the scam shops? They don't call them '$tealerships' for nothing.

You had 80K of perfect use and suddenly a sensor is missing or broke? LOL! Ya right.... Could they have reprogrammed you forcing a 5 sensor software update?

I would go someplace else and have it 'fixed' and chalk up the scam shop as a cheap out. You found them out cheaply...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Does anyone know how to reset this error message or make it go away? >
Reply to
Mike Romain

Stealership? That is great.

Yes, I did suspect dishonesty at work, I thought I felt the dark force; I just was not prepare to sever anyone's peepee so quickly.

I am not 100% familiar with that little hand programming module, I do know it is used to reset the auto door lock and all that software in the info center. I did not think about them resetting a 4-tire TPM system to a 5-tire just to cause an error to read so I will go back to spend more money. It is very venal and regrettably possible. I will look into it.

Thanks for the tip . I hope we are both wrong but we will see.

Regards

USA

Mike Roma> Don't you just love the scam shops? They don't call them

Reply to
USA

Hope we are wrong too, but some of these places seriously need to be put out of business.

The local DC - Jeep $tealership to me has been outright stealing the taxes they charge on emissions tests when emissions tests are tax exempt For Ten Years! Yes I have the receipts spanning that period to prove it. They were told about it ten years ago when they gave me back my money for that and the Service Manager stated he would fix it. Ya right! My son recently went there for emissions which he passed and they are still stealing the tax!

I still think I should turn the SOB's into the government and the press for that!

Another one we took our Cherokee to because the brake pedal was strange and I couldn't get the wheels off so my wife went in for their free brake inspection mostly to break the wheels free that they had installed with their air hammer.

They told her it needed all new brakes including the 6 month old emergency brake cables to the tune of $2200.00 or so dollars in the written quote.

Well, 'all' the pads and shoes and cables were less than 6 months old on

4 year old rotors and the two things there actually 'were' broken, they missed on their quote....

The pedal trouble was a ding on the caliper slider than needed a spot of weld to fill and fix so the caliper wouldn't hang up and the emergency brake cable had popped 'through' the backing plate on the rear wheels due to rust. That needed a $2.00 mini U bolt clamp on the cable end to prevent it from pulling through or a replacement backing plate.

Those are just the latest of waaaayyyy too many stories....

Mike

USA wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
philthy

try reading here

I've never dealt with the system myself.

Reply to
DougW

Thank you. Very informative and good general information. Appreciate this.

DougW wrote:

Reply to
USA

The senders are battery operated so even though you were able to retrain them, one or more of the senders might have a low battery.

-- Russ Panneton snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Nederland, CO "Too bad ignorance isn't painful"

Reply to
Sparky

And if it gets folks to keep the tire pressure at the right levels it'll end up saving upwards of 12% in fuel that's currently being wasted.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Let alone the lives Ford Blamed on Firestone. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Of course, tire pressure in the spare won't affect mileage at all unless it gets put on the ground. Matter of fact, higher pressure in the spare will theoretically cost you milage since air does have mass...

Mouse-farts in a hurricane, but why should the tree huggers have all the fun with miniscule effects?

Reply to
Will Honea

The OEM Goodyear equipped Explorers weren't as deadly.

Reply to
billy ray

...let alone the lives claimed by folks who cannot tell an SUV from a Porsche handling wise and have no idea that tires require air every now and then or that tires that look sorta flat just might be sorta flat.

More fscking government nannies for the rest of us and the ghost of Darwin rolls over in his grave.

...now if the tire pressure sensor would immediately immobilize the vehicle and deliver about 150Kv thru the driver's rear end, I might be more inclined to consider yet another high priced nanny to protect those too stupid to live from themselves as being worthy of my tax payer dollars. Wait till you see the new mandated rollover protections and what they cost and whether or not the vehicle could even handle Walmart bumps any more.

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Will Honea proclaimed:

But if you use helium, air also has lift? Unfortunately then it still has mass you have to move.

Yeah, lets sponsor National Bean Week for the mileage saving benefits of built in jato units.

Reply to
Lon

I was considering an exhaust ventura on the cabin to make use of all the hot air so that might help as well. Of course both ingredients necessarily increase the volume of generated bullshit, so it's a losing game.

Reply to
Will Honea