'04 Liberty - Sticky accelerator, anyone else?

I just got back from the dealer who said it must be normal. Ugh.

I have an '04 Liberty 3.7L w/automatic. When starting from a dead stop (I'm talking traffic jam type stop-and-go) and I put just enough pressure on the gas to make the car move, and instantly let up the pedal, the engine doesn't return to idle immediately. This causes me to have to hit the brakes so I'm not propelled into the car in front of me. The accelerator does eventually drop to a normal idle but it's between 1.5 to 2 seconds.

Related to this is when driving slowly (5-10 mph) and trying to maintain a steady speed, the accelerator seems to have just two states: accelerating or decelerating but not just a steady RPM to maintain the slow speed.

I just realized that using the accelerator pedal, I can't reach RPMs between idle and 1100. It's either idling or 1100 RPMs. This seems to explain the above issues.

Has anyone else seen this?

The service manager let me take another Liberty for a ride and it's accelerator did the same thing only worse. In some cases, the other one didn't drop to idle at all after releasing the gas pedal.

Thanks for reading... Dave

Reply to
Dave Hansen

L.W.(ßill)

The fancy shmancy computer in the Liberty takes a while to "learn" the driving habits of the owner. It does go away, but it takes a while. I tried fixing it by adding a lift and bigger tires!

Daniel

Reply to
Red Wolf

My '98 5.9 Grand Cherokee has been doing the same thing for five years. Let's face it: Chrysler has a lot to learn and they're slow as hell about doing it. Or they just don't care. This will be my last Chrysler vehicle (for several other reasons).

Reply to
j carter

wtf? I have an '03 Liberty Limited and it does *nothing* like this and never has.

Reply to
Jeeters

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Dave Hansen

Hmm. I must be an exceptionally good driver, no car I've bought in the last 15 years exhibited this feature. Of course, I never owned an Audi...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have. Still do. Cars are more aerodynamic now, that's why they don't decelerate instantly. The Jeep sure does. So does the Super Duty.

It's one of the reasons a car from

20+. Got my driver's license at 14, first car at 16. First car was a '70 Torino, my brother's got it now, it was originally his, gave it to me when he got an '84 T-bird Turbo, he got it back a few years later.

* * * Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

psst.. don't tell anyone, but the parking/emergency brake not only slows you down, it doesn't turn on the brake lites. ;)

Same thing with kicking off OverDrive

But if Officer Friendly has a radar gun, your still busted.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks, it wasn't red when I had it, it was well-oxidized metallic gold. David painted it himself and did a pretty good job. Strong engine, but had some carb issues.

Weird. In every vehicle with an auto and a tach I've driven, the tach confirms engine speed lowering when I let off the gas and the lockup torque converter disengages. IN those w/o a tach, I could hear the engine slow down.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I can remember the throttle lift dashpots [mechanical style] as early as a 1970 Datsun, so don't think these are california specific. A 1973 fuel injected Porsche also had a similar function in the control computer and the 85 Mazda 12A [a california model] still has the mechanical dashpot for throttle lift. Some of the function on the Mazda is anti-poopoo for the rotary, but mainly allegedly for emissions.

Approximately 10/4/03 17:27, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Approximately 10/4/03 17:34, DougW uttered for posterity:

Or if ossifer friendly is cruising right beside you in a white semi-marked Firebird with the lightbar inside rather than on top where it would be more sporting.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The one I encountered seemed more interested in just slowing us down. He cruised up beside me, sat there until I looked over and slowed down, then zipped up to the guy in front of me and repeated this, etc. Kinda surprising giving the financial situation of Kalifornia.

Approximately 10/4/03 19:12, L.W.(ßill) Hughes III uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)