'04 running rich

For those of you who like diagnosing strange problems I have a doozy for you.

The symptoms are as follows: Very rich smelling exhaust, inside of tailpipe VERY thickly coated with soot, badly carboned plugs.

I have checked the following: Manifold vacuum (20 ish in/Hg at idle in gear), done an aceytelene test around the intake and throttle-body gaskets/assemblys. The OBD system reports NO PROBLEMS, the mpg figures are all over the map over the past 2 months I have gotten from 14 to

33! mpg using the same brand/grade of fuel driving the same routes every week. I have made NO changes to the vehicle WHAT SO EVER.

This has me stumped.

How about you.

Reply to
kevin.dooks

Gee, how to reply to my own post, DUH.

Just some more info, the engine is a 4.0L (242 CID), with less than

50,000 km hooked to a 4 spd auto trans with a 3.55 ratio rear end.

One more note there appears to be NO loss of power and NO smoke out of the tailpipe.

Strange eh?

Kevin

Reply to
kevin.dooks

Reply to
philthy

Get a gauge on the fuel rail (assuming your year has provisions for this) and ensure that the supply/return paths are up to snuff.

On the other hand, if mine ever turned out 33 mpg, I'd let it do whatever the hell it wants....

Jon

Reply to
Jon