'06 wrangler, lifetime warranty through chrysler questions

i just got back from purchasing my '06 rubicon. in addition to buying the jeep i also purchased a lifetime warranty from chrysler. the dealership (briggs dodge in topeka kansas) told me that chrysler extended its current lifetime warranty to any chrysler vehicle under 36000 miles for a fee ($5900 retail). they told me its a "bumper to bumper" warranty. i purchased the warranty with the understanding that i have a certain number of days in which to cancel if i change my mind. with this in mind, ive several questions.

- i paid $4200 for the warranty. is this considered to be a "good" price?

- is this warranty worth the expense?

- dealership tells me if i EVER blow an engine i get a new engine, if i EVER blow a tranny they rebuild it, same goes for front/rear end, or anyting else. what am i missing in this?

- with the talk of chrysler selling jeep, would they still honor the warranty?

- any other considerations?

thanks,

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I would say you are missing a rebuilt engine is about $1500.00, used tranny is a grand, used transfer case, $ 500.00, brand new disk to disk rubi

44 is $1500.00, of coarse none of this includes labor, but still, I'd be saying that's a nice set of tires and a lift, could probably squeeze in a winch into the $4200.00 too.
Reply to
Greg

I never buy lottery tickets, but one of them is bound to be worth like 200 zillion dollars. I can live with that. What you're buying is a $4200 lottery ticket, that might wind up being worth $3000. Think about it. Then buy something that will increase in value over time, like this.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

This is above-average for a lifetime powertrain warranty from what I read.

No. You'd be better off putting that $4200 in a savings account and draw from it if you ever need repairs. The probability of breaking powertrain components on a Wrangler Rubicon is next to nil, and if you do, it will likely be contractually excluded as abuse unless you can prove it was a factory defect of some sort.

The salesman made $2-grand when he sold you that thing, and he would tell you just about anything to make the sale. The fine-print will tell you that they will repair or install a rebuilt part (at their discretion) IF they determine the damage was from a defect or normal wear-and-tear.

They will likely sell the warranty to a 2nd party, who will do just about anything to avoid paying claims.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Consider the cancellation carefully. Hyundai's need a warranty; Jeeps don't.

-Outatime Wheelin'-n-Grinnin' in Central CA, USA

Reply to
Outatime

I'll bet you could get a pretty good snowmobile or ATV with that $4200, or at least make the down payment. There must be lots of ways you could blow $4200. Power tools? I like this stuff.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Wrong, the dealershop made $1,950, the salesman made $50 or so.

Right, or kill his grandmother or eat his children or.....

Why? Because he's a SALESMAN, that's what they do!

Off topic:

Mrs. Jones is suing a car dealership for selling her a lemon, her attorney calls the salesman to the witness stand.

Q. State your name and occupation, please. A. I'm Sam Johnson, I'm a used car salesman, have been for a year.

Q. And what did you do before you were a used car saleman? A. I was a lawyer.

Q. Really? A lawyer? And why did you become a used car saleman? A. I wanted more respect in the community....

Reply to
XS11E

thanks guys. i cancelled the warranty today.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

good job nathan, also, lots of these warranties are actually ran and exercised by a third party. Not sure about yours and its details, but the

3rd party ones are bad all the way around. the dealership sells them, and you think all is grand, till you try to cash in on a claim. then the fun begins. Sorry, you don't have ALL of your receipts for your oil changes at 3000 miles. doesnt matter if YOU do it yourself...the list goes >thanks guys. i cancelled the warranty today.
Reply to
RSMuddog via CarKB.com