10W-40 Valvoline Maxlife really that bad?

My dealer has just filled my ?99 Cherokee with Valvoline Maxlife

10W-40

The engine has about 60K and I am using my jeep in the tropics all year.

One only reads horror stories about 10W-40 due to extensive polymer brake down.

Should I change the oil immediately again, or would it be ok to drive until the next interval 3,000 miles from now? Would synthetic oil be the best choice for tropical use, or should I use a 20-50?

Reply to
Robert Goldpalm

What is wrong with the 10W30 recommended by the manufacturer? That is what I use in my Jeep and in my Suburban in Colorado, and it gets pretty darn hot here in the summer. The thermostat fixes the operating temperature at a set value anyway.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

whats wrong with 10W40? I've been using it for 12 years (valvoline the whole time and maxlife when it can out) 165 K miles so far.....I also use it in my 5 speed, per the request of the reman company.....no problems, shifts great works great.

Reply to
Onlyinajeepcj7

A thicker or heavier weight oil can cause more problems than a light weight oil, especially when the light weight is what is recommended by the manufacturer. Greater load on the oil pump, less flow to the bearings; the following is from

who spent decades designing aircooledVW engines for the strip and street. "Another concern is the weight of the oil. Remember, the heavier the oil, the less it lubricates. We run 20 weight in our race engines and 10-30 weight in all street engines. Only if the temperature is constantly above

80-85 degrees would I consider 10-40 weight. 5-30 should be used when temperature falls to below 45 degrees. For freezing temperatures straight 10 weight would be my choice."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I use it in my 89 Sentra. It has 165k on it, with no engine problems at all. It only burns 1/2 qt every 3k miles.

Reply to
Matt

So, using this fill of 10W-40 until the next oil change 3,000 miles away should be no big disaster, I guess.

Perhaps, the 10W-30, recommended in the manual is still most likely the most appropriate, even in a tropical climate.

Reply to
Robert Goldpalm

Approximately 11/12/03 15:38, Robert Goldpalm uttered for posterity:

No issue at all.

Go figure.

Reply to
Lon Stowell