1948 CJ2A steering column

Is there a trick to removing this column? I have removed the column clamp bolt by the gear box, unbolted it from the dash. It spins but will not come loose. Is it attached somewhere else to the gear box?

Reply to
Bob

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

The steering shaft has a worm gear on the bottom that is held in the steering box by the "sector" shaft, thats the cross wise one with bell crank on the end. You'll have to pull the whole thing out as a unit, with a little finagling it will come up throught the floor hole. Google "Ross Box Rebuild" or have a look on the Early CJ5, CJ3B, CJ3 or CJ2a websites.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I did not yet pull the wheel because I will probally cut it off. Was trying to pull as an assembly, so I can get the body off the frame.

Reply to
Bob