1973 cj5

i recently purchased a 1973 cj5 very nice jeep but for some reason it does not want to start it will go to turn over but its like its not getting any fire ive replaced the starter the ignition coil stater celinoid and still no spark why why i ask its almost like maybe a wiring problem but if thats the case i really wouldnt no were to begin if anyone could help please my husband and father have tried there best but no luck thank you to all

Reply to
KC

Maybe unplug the alternator and try it. If the alternator has an internal short, it (some/most) can ground the power for the spark.

Mike

KC wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You forgot to put gas in it?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

I don't know if yours has a "module" on the pass fender under the hood. Some have said mine should not , but it did/does, and when it went, no spark.

Your going to have to ask around as to testing them. Mine ended up being a bad ground, once cleaned and tightened, I got to take the new module back. I am not purposefully calling it by the wrong name, I just cannot for the life of me remember at the moment what it is actually called.

Good Luck JT

77 CJ 5 LV,NV
Reply to
Fennidh

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

My 75 CJ5 has a "module" on the pass fender & it went bad & wouldn't start. Check it.

Reply to
Ken

Electronic Ignition Module...

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

He 'thinks' he has changed a stator too Bill....

My bet is still on the alternator excite dragging the coil power to ground.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

He's right about the voltmeter. His advice about tracking down the spark is a good path to follow. The stock harness in a 73 has a resistor wire running from the ignition to the coil which drops the voltage (no ballast resistor). It should have around 8 volts at the coil. There is a plug in the harness at about the fire wall that is nortorious for corroding and breaking. I had a very similar issue (I have a 73 also). If it cranks over, getting gas, fire at the plugs, and the timing is close it should run. FYI...You don't have an ignition module in a 73. It's points and condenser.

Reply to
cj573cj5