1987 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer Transmission Problems

For some reason my Jeep transmission fails to engage when I put it into any gear. I have an automatic transmission with 4WD. Sometimes it goes into gear and sometimes it doesn't. Also, the 4WD light will stay on whether its in 4WD or not. Someone told me to check the Throttle Position Sensor for the tranny. Can anyone confirm this as the possible culprit or, give some advice on what to look for? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John

L.W.(ßill)

Forgive me if I'm way off base here, I'm just a Newb, but I have the same 'feature' with my 4X4 light staying on. I have a standard 94 YJ.

The light stays on all the time unless I physically get out and take off the vaccuum thingy from under the Jeep, next to the passenger front wheel. No big deal, I can tell it isn't engaged even when the light is on - I just figured it got blocked with mud and it can't release the vaccuum enough to get the light off but enough to disengage the 4X4. I don't have any tranny problems though, so I can't tell you if your light problem is related to your tranny problem.

I don't think the 4X4 light thing is a big deal- is it?

Yep, I'm a Jeep n00b but I hope I helped you. :)

-kim

Reply to
cooper

Thanks for the advice. So, you are suggesting that I add more fluid? And, what do you mean by hot? Thanks again.

Reply to
John

He means measure the fluid when the Jeep is warmed up by driving, and the transmission fluid has been doing some work.

Reply to
Dave Milne

The position sensor will generally give you problems like not shifting properly or down shifting when not required. I would look else where for the problem.....

Reply to
Jeepster