1989 Cherokee Won't Shift Into 2nd After Wash

I had my 1989 Cherokee 4.0L engine washed. Afterwards, the Cherokee wouldn't shift into 2nd. It just goes in 1st gear and Reverse. I did uncouple and re-attached as many electrical attachments that I could get to on top of the engine, along the firewall, and by the relay. I got it to go into 2nd once, but then it reverted back to just 1st and I haven't got it to work right since. I assume something's not making good contact or is failing, but I don't know what. I've read about the Throttle Position Sensor and a kickdown cable, but don't know what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mickey

I would recommend you pull all the plugs on the throttle body open and spray them out with WD40 which is a great non conductive Water Displacement fluid. Any other's suspected of getting wet also.

The TPS controls the shift points. If spraying up top doesn't do it, there are plugs down near the tranny too.

Mike

Mike Romain

The TPS that Mike is mentioning is most likely bad. Easy to replace but just make sure you get the right one. The one for standard shift is different.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo