1990 Jeep cherokee laredo Electrical problems

My 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo is having electrical problems. The fan blower, radio, turn signals, winshield wipers, and rear de-fogger are not working. All other components are functioning. I checked all of the fuses and they do not look blown. what am I missing?

Reply to
block0053

I'd say the biggest thing you are missing is a chiltons manual so you can check the electrical schematic for what, if anything, those circuits have in common. That's where I'd suggest starting.

Reply to
T. Greening

How about some history on this vehicle. Have you owned for some time or did you just get it with these issues? Did all these items stop at once? Has anyone ever torn the dash apart for something like an aftermarket radio install?

- Joe

Reply to
Joe M

A few things come to mind.

First off is the wire mesh ground strap that runs from the rear of the head to the firewall. These rot and your symptoms can happen.

Second is a bad fuse link wire. If you follow the smaller positive battery cable to the starter relay where it bolts on, you will find a few soft fat wires bolted there too. These are about 8" long and have a fat rubber tube crimp where they join the harness pieces they protect. One of these could be burnt.

Last that comes to mid is a dead fuse panel. Have you ever had the clutch or brake master cylinder fail and leak fluid into the cab? If so, the back side of the fuse panel could be rotted away.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

turned out to be a shorted wire to the relays...quick fix!

Reply to
block0053

Thanks for the update!