1990 YJ spring lift question

hello, ive a question, is it better to do a full spring lift,,2.5 inches for 500.00

or a shackle lift,,2.5 inches,,,for 80.00 ,

90 percent time on highway, 10 percent in the woods,

thanks, john

Reply to
somebody
2.5" shackle lift WILL mess up your caster significantly, enough to make it a real stinker to drive in a straight line on the highway. You wouldn't notice it in the woods. If you survive that, the longer shackles tend to bend over if you push your off road trips.

If you are just looking for some tire clearance, a 1" body lift runs around the same $80, works fine. 2" body lift is ok but you will need to do some fiddling with the shift lever, radiator mount, and possibly the brake lines. 3" body lift is a big NO!

Net: If you want to do it right, do the full spr> hello, ive a question,

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ, thanks, are the spring-lifts a stiffer ride on the highway? been looking at the Rubicon RE5505 STANDARD 2.5INCH suspension system

or the same in the 4 inch but ive only got 30inch tires right now, ive heard 31's with a fourbanger but pushin it,

and im keeping my 2.5 four-mouse-banger motor,

advice willingly accepted,,grin,,,

johnp

Reply to
somebody

Spring lifts will be stiffer ride, the extra arch really does it. Of course the stock YJ springs are so soft they should be used for bedroom slippers. Shocks make a big difference. A lot of kits come with Ranchero

5000 shocks, stiff as a board, to be avoided. I've heard the 9000s are way better.

I run an '87 YJ with 31" x15 MT tires and a 2" body lift, no rubb> RoyJ,

Reply to
RoyJ

I've got an 88 YJ 4 banger with a 4" pro-comp lift and 31" tires. Power isn't really a problem except out on the freeway when running uphill or with a strong headwind. Even then, I just have to forget about 5th gear, but I can keep up in 4th.

One warning on the pro-comp lift; my YJ rides like a lumber wagon down the road, so I'd strongly recommend checking around before deciding on the brand of spring lift.

Reply to
TCL