1994 Cherokee stalling

I know this questions has been asked in here before, but I've run out of ideas. I have a '94 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 engine. It's got

151,000 miles and its stalling at random times. Mostly when just driving along on the highway.

Here is a list of things I've already done ...

  1. Replaced the crank sensor
  2. Replaced the MAP sensor
  3. Replaced the computer
  4. Cleaned throttle body, Idle Air Controller, crank sensor connector
  5. Bypassed wiring harness from computer to crank sensor
  6. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter
  7. checked ground wire from block to firewall
  8. checked ground from battery

The computer is still showing codes 11 and 12 when it stalls. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Rob

Reply to
themophead

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

First u must determine if the fuel system or ignition system is causing the problem. In the meantime it appears you have become very proficient at fixing things that are not broke. Sounds like the ignition module is failing when it heats up, The module is nothing more than a transducer that converts a magnetic signal into a electrical signal which triggers the coil. You say that the crank trigger (magnetic switch) has already been changed so let's rule that out. The module or transducer may be mounted integrally inside a ignition box (similar to older fords) I am not that familiar with your particular ignition system, but I'm sure you have some type of control unit or "little black box". What do those codes that are stored in RAM tranlate into: I'm sure 1 of them is probably VSS (vehicle speed sensor), but what is the other one translated.........

Reply to
Mad Dog
10 to 1 it's a bad ignition module. I had the same problem, replaced it with one from a junkyard for $50, and it has run fine ever since.

Reply to
burntkat

11 = No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation. 12 = possible loose battery terminal, connection, or the battery has been disconnected within the last fifty engine starts.

that leaves the camshaft position sensor in the distributor or its connector.

Checked the distributor for oil/crud?

DougW

Outstanding error code link, thanks Bill.

Reply to
dsm

After reading the message from MadDog, I took off the distributor cap and cleaned the contacts and the button. I also checked the connector and cleaned that up. It seems to be running a bit better but it's still stalling. I was stalling every 500 feet or so, and after I did that I was able to drive about 100 miles in the last 2 days without a stall. I will look into getting a new/used ignition module. Thanks so much for your help.

Rob

Reply to
themophead

I don't want to speak to soon, but I think I may have figured out the problem. It seems that it was either the fuel pump relay or the Auto Shutdown relay that was the problem. I wish the dealer would have thought of that before I bought a new computer. Either way though, it seems to be working. Thanks for your help guys.

Rob

Reply to
themophead