1994 Jeep Cherokee 4WD Automatic Transmission questions

Hi, My '94 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L Inline 6 cyl, 4WD w/ Automatic Transmission is in need of a new transmission. I decided to pick up a used 1 from a junk yard.

A couple of questions:

1.) Does my Cherokee have Command-Trac or Select-Trac, and does that matter as far as picking the transmission?

2.) Will a transmission from a '92 Grand Cherokee fit it (a local junk yard has 1 of those in stock now). Also, can anyone tell which types & years of Jeeps have the same type of transmissions? For example, will a '96 transmission fit a '94 Cherokee, etc? I had heard that Jeep used the same type of transmission over the course of several years, and, perhaps on multiple vehicles (regular Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, etc). Can anyone verify this?

I have tried to find the answer to these questions on the internet, to no avail - I was searching online when I found this newsgroup, and started searching through it & haven't been able to find the answer to my specific questions, so if someone could help me out, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks, brookman1973

Reply to
brookman1973

I can take a stab at some of your questions. I don't have the info on the '94, but I do have some on the '93. Don't think it's different for '94.

The Grand Cherokee used theNPG231 Command-Trac, NPG242 Selec-Trac and the NPG 249 Quadra-Trac. I don't know what the G stood for (Grand?)

The Cherokee used the NP231 Command-Trac and the NP242 Selec-Trac. The Selec-Trac required the auto transmission. You probably have the Select-Trac.

Command-Trac is a part time transfer case with 2WD, 4WD High and 4WD Low settings. Selec-Trac is a full-time transfer case with 2WD, 4WD High Full-Time, 4WD High Part-Time and 4WD Low settings. You should be able to tell by looking at your shift lever markings.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

New Process Gear

Reply to
Jp Davis

id like to think your whole problem is that u r driving a jeep 4 leter NEWS FLASH they suck

Reply to
D-WALL

D-WALL did squat loudly:

Hey kid, go back to playing with your dolly and quit bugging your elders.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Dick

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses so far (well, except for the 1 troll) -

So, I went out & looked at my 4 WD shifter, and it has these options:

2H, 4H, N, & 4L - so does that mean it's a Command-Trac or Select-Trac?

Also, I'm afraid I still am unsure about the similarities of the different transmissions - I'm still unsure if a tranny from a '92 Grand Cherokee will work in a '94 Cherokee - or is the junk yard dealer just trying to screw me over?

Thanks, brookman1973

Reply to
brookman1973

You have Command-Trac. I had Select-Trac and I had another option on my transfer case selector (It's been a few years since I've been in an XJ), sorry I'm not much help other than that.

Here we go. Select-trac transfercase selectors

When I did have the XJ, I had great help from
But as far as differences between years and the ability to interchange between models, I'd check with other wreckers, for a "second opinion". Or even ask the Jeep dealer's service guy for info.

Reply to
Jp Davis

Been almost an hour and I had hoped someone else might be able to answer that for me ;) Google wasn't much help for me, that or I need to input a different query... But I'm thinking there really isn't any difference other than the personal preference of the person using the term.

Just a wild stab in the dark. I'm useless ;) That or really tired.

Reply to
Jp Davis

Jp Davis did pass the time by typing:

The tranny changed in the ZJ during the 92-93 production year. They went between the AW4 and 42RE, both have their quirks. This is the CPS sensor for the 42RE

the AW4
Given they switched in production the mechanics are probably identical. Even so I have no idea if the ZJ tranny will fit an XJ. The dealer parts counter or maint shop might have a crossreference.

2H, 4H, N, & 4L is the NP231 part-time case (good for off-roading, but don't use 4H or 4L on pavement) 2H| | N __|4H | | |4L

The 242 is a part-time/full-time case (best of both worlds)

|2wd | |4part |_ |4full N |_ | |4L

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sounds like what you'd expect when a coupla cousins get too friendly without proper precautions. Queue theme from Deliverance.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon