1995 Grand Cherokee - transmission problems

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to replace the transmission on my

95 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Last week a hose broke on one of the transmission lines. Fluid was pouring out everywhere. I barely made it home and the car was barely moving by the time I got home. The garage suggested putting in about 3 quarts and try driving it to them the following morning (about a mile) . Well I made it 4 blocks and then had it towed. They replaced the line and I picked it up yesterday. When I drove home, the transmission kept slipping. It would get up to about 35 and then just rev the engine while not picking up any speed. It seemed to help if I put the car into 2nd gear. But the revs on the tran where really going. The car has approx 150,000. They thought to get a transmission would be about $1,600. I don't know if it is worth it to get the car fixed. Any help would be appreciated
Reply to
malfadir

I am totally amazed that anyone would keep on driving with a blown coolant line, but anyway....

You 'really' need to find another garage, those ones are total fools or just plain rip off artists to have told you to put 'about' 3 quarts in it and drive it. They were planning or counting on seeing the tow truck and a trashed tranny for sure. It takes more than that to fill it 'and' you have a dipstick to tell you when you have the right amount in it!!!!

First off have you checked the fluid level? The dipstick will say on it the proper way, but it is usually hot running and either in park or drive.

Did any of the fluid get onto the throttle body? The TPS in the throttle body controls shift points. If it got full of ATF, it would need a clean. Same for any electrical/electronic plugs down on the transmission itself. If the fluid sprayed all over creation they could be contaminated. Cleaning plugs and sockets with a spray contact cleaner is at least an inexpensive fix if that's all it needs.

I can't tell you if the Jeep is worth the repair if it indeed does need a tranny. You would have to figure the rust levels, paint, interior, drivetrain, etc... 150K isn't a lot of miles on a Jeep.

Mike

Mike Romain

MIke,

Not really much of a mechanic type. I know that the leak and replaced hose or l>I am totally amazed that anyone would keep on driving with a blown

Reply to
malfadir

I don't know where the electrical connections are for the transmission module and shift switch on your Grand Cherokee. Hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

If the connections got soaked with ATF, they might not pass the signal right, it is a low power computer signal. Opening them just takes some looking for the clip on one or both sides/ends and pulling them apart. Electronic or stereo shops sell contact cleaner in spray cans. Even WD40 is a decent cleaner, but not the best.

I would sure go look for them and clean them before forking out big bucks on a rebuild that may not be needed. A basic Haynes manual should show you where they are. It costs in the twenty dollar range. Not the best, but it can save you time and money lots of times.

Same for checking the tranny fluid. Just look for the dipstick near the back of the engine and pull it out to see what it says. Have a paper towel or rag handy to clean it off, then do what it says to check the fluid.

Also give it (the fluid) a smell and feel. If it smells like burnt toast or is gritty, then you can stop right there and figure who has the best deal on a rebuilt tranny....

Mike

malfadir wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain