1996 Cherokee Front End Noise

I am lurker from way back...but found my way back here with a question.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L AW4, 4x4 (pt time).

I have noticed that when making primarily Left turns under moderate to heavy throttle I get a noise coming from the front end. The noise sounds like a severe tire rub but kinda ...crunchy for the lack of better term. The harder the accelleration (like going through an intersection to keep from getting killed) the worse the noise. Its also present at low speeds when the suspension is flexed.

I've checked the tires (brand new) and they show no signs of rubbing. Nor did the old ones. I'm leaning toward towards a axle ujoint. Am I on the right track?

How big of a PITA are they to change? Any special tools needed?

Reply to
WVNebJockey

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Great article, I actually read this shortly after I wrote the post.

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

WVNebJockey

Bill is THE link master, guaranteed if you have a question, he has the link.

> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O>> mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Zorin Inc.

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III