1996 XJ 4.0 Cherokee Heater Controls, Heater Lukewarm

I'm troubleshooting a lukewarm heater problem and a couple questions have arisen which I haven't found answers to.

First - the vacuum valves and heater slider flap (thing) under the dash all seem to be working correctly, just to make sure I also verified there are no climate control/vacuum leaks - connected a vacuum pump to the vacuum source line going into the Heater/AC unit from the line to the intake manifold & tank. I moved the climate control switch to each position and pumped up vacuum - the valve works for each and vacuum holds, good. I did notice that the heater valve is "off" (bypass) when the climate control switch is off, "on" (no heater core bypass) for all other positions (AC, Vent, Heat, Defrost, etc.), not sure if this is normal.

Questions, any insight would be most appreciated:

I have read where the heater can blow only lukewarm air in the cab if air is trapped in the core or hoses. Does anyone have suggestions on a good way to purge air from the heater lines/core?

Can someone verify how the heater hoses are supposed to connect to the heater control valve under the hood? I bought the XJ used and it had a wrong valve installed, so I couldn't hook the (hopefully) new/correct one (from my local dealer) same as the old one. Mine is currently: With valve on side facing you, two parallel in vertical plane fittings on right side going to engine - upper to thermostat housing, lower to water pump, two fittings on left side at odd angles and down lower than the ones on the right - lower of these going to upper heater core tube, upper of these going to lower heater core tube. The main reason for this is - I bought all new factory hoses and valve, and with various fitting sizes (some 5/8, some 11/16) and hose angles, this configuration seemed to match up, but I haven't found a picture to see if I have them right.

Can someone see if this is normal for the heater valve control from the climate control vacuum switch: Climate control switch in any other than in the Off position, vacuum applied to heater valve and sending hot water thru heater core. Climate control switch in Off position, vacuum removed from heater valve and bypassing the heater core.

Thanks - KR

Reply to
WildWestAZ

A thought ... does your temp gauge indicate heat (mine reads around 100C ... cdn, eh)? The previous owner could even have removed the thermostat.

Reply to
bowgus

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced the thermostat and cover (due to a leak) and the engine warms up to normal temp - around 200F - so the thermostat appears to be working normally.

Reply to
WildWestAZ

Reply to
Will Honea

I have an older XJ so can't help with the valve plumbing, but can say to check the run of the heater hoses. If they are above the level of the coolant in the radiator, they can hold an air bubble and only let half the flow to the heater core.

I have done and read about putting the Jeep's nose up on a bank and filling it while it is running and sitting that way with the heater on full. That can make the rad filler the highest point.

I found running a hose through the heater core also increased the heat. A fair bit of crap came out of mine.

Mike

Mike Romain