1997 TJ: Catalytic converter Chrysler vs EPA

After sweating through replacing the rotten OEM exhaust manifold, I found the catalytic converter on our 1997 TJ 4.0L w/ 100K has developed that nasty rattle from busted ceramic. I guess the exhaust was so loud leaking out the manifold that we never noticed the cat noise until now.

I was all excited to read in this newsgroup that the EPA sued Chrysler and got a settlement to replace these defective cats up to 10 years and

120K miles:

But then reading the details from the EPA:

It looks like this only covers the 2.5L engine, not the 4.0L engine, TJs?

What's up with that; aren't they the same catalytic converter?

So am I going to have to fix this at my own expense, like the manifold?

I visited the dealer and called Chrysler and they swear they've never heard of this EPA settlement, and they refuse to fix it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It will stop if you wait long enough.

Doesn't matter. Somehow, "they" figured out that this affected the 2.5 liter TJ, but not yours. There could be numerous explanations for this, not all of them suspicious.

Yes.

How this works is, Chrysler enters all the vehicle VINs affected by the settlement into a recall program. When you take your TJ to the dealer, they enter the VIN into the computer. If a recall notice pops up, you get the recall free. If it doesn't, you get nothing.

This would be a good time to get a free flow aftermarket cat and cat-back system installed. Or you could wait for your existing cat to stop rattling.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

philthy

Yeah, when the pieces clog your muffler and it splits at a seam from the pressure.

This is not how it was explained to me by both the dealer and DC customer service. There's no way they are sending out recalls to 950k owners all at once. The dealers would be buried and DC can't supply all the parts. They will be sending out notices for many months to come. If you've already paid to have it repaired, you can send your reciept to Jeep to be reimbursed. Don't let the dealer tell you that the repair has to be done at the dealer either.

FWIW, I just replaced mine with a Magnaflow cat for $100. It runs and sounds better too.

-Ed

Reply to
Ed J.