1998 Jeep Wrangler - Bucking?

Ok gang -- here's the deal. I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem. My girlfriend has a 1998 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 standard shift which recently started bucking (95,000 miles).

Recently, it's been bucking (VERY badly) when I shift from 2nd to 3rd. The RPM's fly from under 1000 to then spiking at about 2 or 3 thousand, then back to normal. The Jeep then continues to buck and almost feels like it's going to stall before it finally recovers and then continues bucking, stalling, etc.

It seems like it gets worse when it's wet or damp outside, but also happens when it's dry. It'll continue for a while, and then it'll just go back to normal.

Unfortunately, no check engine light comes on.. there's no other symptoms.

I brought it to two friends who are mechanics and work together. They both thought it was the pickup coil that had to be fixed. If it wasn't the pickup coil, they thought it could be the crank shaft sensor. One of the mechanics said that he had a Jeep Cherokee which had the same problem and it was solved by the crank shaft sensor.

The car had a new distributor cap, wires, plugs, etc. That wasn't it.

Well, unfortunately there's no returns on electrical parts, and we put the pick up coil in... All seemed well until about a week ago when it started again after a few weeks of no problems. So, now they think it's the crank shaft sensor. Of course when they go to drive it, the problem never happens.

So, they don't want to just "throw" parts in it, but I'm wondering if anyone has any possible solutions? Do you all think it's the crank shaft sensor? Have there been problems which others have had fixed?

Unfortunately because no engine lights light up, and it can't be duplicated, they are kind of at a loss. The dealership said they thought it might be the crank shaft sensor as well.

Another thing I've noticed is that the fuel gauge seems to be off. Sometimes I'll notice that the gauge is at "empty" when there is at least a half tank of fuel. So, the mechanics thought it might be something fuel related which is sending the wrong signal, which also could cause the bucking.

I'm at the group's mercy. The girlfriend is dying to her car on the road, and I'm dying to get this problem solved!

I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance! (Please reply via email as well as sometimes my newsfeed is iffy)

Reply to
Bar B. Que

Since you indicate that moisture aggrevates things, I'd suggest pulling the plugs for the throttle position sensor, CPS, and MAP sensor to give them a GOOD cleaning. Use WD40 or a contact cleaner with a stiff brush, then blow them dry. Use some dielectric grease on the seals to help keep the moisture out. It's free and easy - plus it usually works or at least helps narrow down the problem.

Reply to
Will Honea