1998 Jeep Wrangler cuts off

Need some help!

After driving 150 miles, averaging 70 miles per hour, my 1998 jeep wranger cuts off. When I pull over it cranks right up. Then after 20 or 30 additional miles it does the same thing.

No check engine light comes on.

I have already changed the o2 sensor.

Any ideas?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Im by no means an expert, and I was going ot say the 02 sensor before I noticed that you had already replaced it. If it were me, Id look at the crankshaft position sensor, seems to go quite a bit.

Reply to
Waveblast9

It's your crank position sensor. Same thing just happened to my 98.

If you are a DIY'er it is located on the bell housing at about 1 o'clock as you face the front of the jeep. To replace it I crawled under the jeep and using a swivel attachment and an extension on the ratchet I was able to remove the bolt holding it in. (BTW mine is a 6 cylinder with an auto. The manuals and 4 cylinders use differing numbers of bolts to hold the CPS.) Then I went top side and wiggled the CPS out of the housing. It seems that in the case of the auto the CPS is about 2 1/2 inches long and the space above the CPS is about 2 3/8 inches. It was a real pain getting it out but I did eventually succeed. Replacing it was simply the reverse of removal.

Good Luck Dean

Reply to
Dean

Dean did pass the time by typing:

The I6 had two different types depend>

Reply to
DougW

Yah, the auto trany looks like this

The dealer wanted about $90 for it. Pep Boys and Checker had it for around $45, but you have to wait a couple of days for them to special order it. I wasn't in a hurry so I waited. Jeeps run fine ever since.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Well, I changed the crankshaft position sensor, didn't solve the problem. Went to 2 different Jeep dealers, they couldn't find the problem since no codes were stored in the computer.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Maybe an ign switch problem or a relay? Overheats and connection gets lost for a bit. What happens to the tach when it dies? Does it drop right to zero? How is that fuel filter and fuel pump connection? later, dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No the tach does not drop down to zero. When I push the clutch in it will idle. The further I drive the worse it gets.

Reply to
Greg