1998 Jeep Wrangler Right Break Light Not working

Hello, i have a 1998 jeep wrangler sport and i just realized that my right break light is not working, i have changed the bulbs and checked all the fuses and they are all good. the bulbs do light up when i turn on my headlights but when i break they don't. if anyone can help me please let me know it would be very much appreciated, Thanks!

Reply to
jorge1145

Do you by chance have a rock guard cage around the taillights?

Does the signal on that side work?

Mike

Mike Romain

I actually do have a rock guard cage around both tail lights.. I've had them on for about 8 years now.

Reply to
jorge1145

There you go. If the signal also isn't working, you need to remove the screws holding the light fixture onto the tub and clean the screws. They are the ground and once the factory set is broken by removal, they corrode and lose the connection.

Mike

Mike Romain

Sounds like your break light is broek.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I'll second that. Had it happen when I still had regular lights on my rig (went to flush mounts).

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Hi Jorge, Check the brake light switch up where the pedal lever joins the push rod, wiggle it with your hand and have a spotter see if the lights then work. Use a voltmeter to see if you have power to the switch, then out on compression. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Wouldn't a failure at the brake light switch put both brake lights out, not just the righthand one?

-- "We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey, that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated." Orson Wells on the reaction to the _War Of The Worlds_ broadcast.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Mike, thanks so much.. I checked out the screws yesterday holding the tail [brake] light to the body after work and, sure enough, they were rusty and were the root of the problem. After a little WD-40 cleanup and jiggling the screws with a wrench the tail light became way more luminous. After I fixed the right one I noticed that the left was also very dim (which I couldn't tell before) and proceeded to fix that one as well!

Now my Jeep is fixed and safer on the highway. Thanks again!

Reply to
jorge1145

Mike, thanks so much.. I checked out the screws yesterday holding the tail [brake] light to the body after work and, sure enough, they were rusty and were the root of the problem. After a little WD-40 cleanup and jiggling the screws with a wrench the tail light became way more luminous. After I fixed the right one I noticed that the left was also very dim (which I couldn't tell before) and proceeded to fix that one as well!

Now my Jeep is fixed and safer on the highway. Thanks again!

Reply to
jorge1145

You are welcome. It's nice to see easy fixes.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

And cheap, too!