1999 JCG Engine hiccup

I was driving the Jeep Grand Cherokee today and while driving about 60mph the whole engine and drive train "bucked" as best as I can describe it. It felt like the engine may have fired out of order. It only happened once, but it was pretty noticeable. No check engine light and no Other idiot lights came on.

Also, lately the car has been idling high 1200 rpm.

Any ideas.

Reply to
Jo Baggs

happened once, but it was pretty noticeable. No check

hit a critter?

I'd clean the throttle body with some good cleaner and around the throttle plate and idle air passage.

High idle can also be a sign you have a small vac leak. After cleaning the throttle body you might want to spray a bit of tb cleaner around the hoses while the engine is running and listen for stumble.

Reply to
DougW

I had a similar problem and here was my solution I posted earlier ..

$320 for the CAM and CPS replacement at Jeep dealer .. my WJ showed the CPS faulty but the shop computer showed the CAM was faulty as well ... both were defective, not corroded or loose wires and such, said they checked that first... Jeep told me yes the CPS goes out and many individuals say "Replace the CPS" only and then return with the same problems and have to get the CAM replaced too .. problem solved with the addition of $140 to replace a putrid fuel filter with 140000 miles on it ... I hope this helps some of you out there ... in turn I am grateful to many whom responded to my inquires, thanks to you, each and every one ...

Reply to
Mindy

That's a lot of money for a little bit of work. :/

At least on the 1993, the fuel filter is one bolt and two connectors.

happened once, but it was pretty noticeable. No check

Reply to
DougW

This goes with the one above.

been idling high 1200 rpm.

Also, clean your throttle body idle air passage.

don't need to actually take the TB off, just atoothbrush and spray can of cleaner.

Reply to
DougW