2.4L throttle body

I have a 2003 4-cylinder TJ. From reading around in this group, it sounds like swapping the throttle body from the 6-cylinder TJs is a good way to gain power. The thing is that I can only find people talking about switching these from the 4.0L engine to the 2.5L engine. Does anyone know if the throttle body from a 4.0L will fit on a 2.4L? Would I be better off to just get a throttle body spacer made for the

2.4L engine?
Reply to
eric.wolfe

Say what?

I don't know where you have been reading, but I sure haven't heard of anything that foolish before.

That would be like putting a 4 bbl on a 258. Unless you change the cam and ignition and exhaust, the thing will run like a pig and it might anyway.

TB spacers are your typical snake oil products and do nothing for any FI engine, they were only used to help keep carburetors cool.

There was a Vette with those cool looking turbine vanes and spacers in all the intakes that this booth was selling (the spacers and spinners) at a car show I was at last summer. After the 4 day show was over and we were packing up they 'finally' got the thing to do one circuit of the track without having to 'push' it back.... Great advertising.... LOL!

Maybe someone else has heard of oversizing the TB on the 2.4 and can chime in with constructive help, all I can see is a bogged out engine.

Mike

" snipped-for-privacy@wku.edu.nospam" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You already have plenty of air, you need to pour more coal to it, and that takes tweaking the computer chip, which I don't think any manufacturer bothered to make for you little four banger, like they do for the Ford and GM push rod V8s that can hold more energy. The DRB III tool could do it, though:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
" snipped-for-privacy@wku.edu.nospam" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I have been using a Turbo City modified 2.5 litre (4.0 cylindre) throttle body on my 1995 YJ since 1998. Too late to avoid spending too much I found out that this is basically a 4.0 litre throttle body. I haven't dyno'ed the Jeep or anything, but I found that the power increase is modest. The economy went to 25 mpg though, and I am pretty happy with that. It does not run like a pig. Other modifications include a cat-back exhaust, "Rock-It" air tube, electric cooling fans and K&R filter. My thoughts are that for some pollution-related reason the people at Jeep decided to restrict the amount of air to the 2.5 litre engine. Who knows? If you look at the stock

2.5 litre throttle body it appears to have a Venturi in it. The Turbo City modification is simply to machine out the restriction. You could have this done locally too.

Now the 2.4 litre engine is some kind of overhead cam, aluminum and plastic thing, and doubtless has completely different torque and horsepower versus rpm curves from the 2.5. Its need for air must be completely different too. My recommendation is to get a current Mopar performance catalog, or see if the Mopar Jeep performance book has been updated to include this engine. A physical inspection of the 2.4 litre throttle body might yield some interesting results too. (I have never looked at one.)

Earle Still Jeeping Still annoying the locals in Silverton, San Juan County, CO

Reply to
Earle Horton

Interesting to know, I didn't think there was much you can really do to any of the Jeep FI engines without spending some serious bucks.

That also sounds like you run lean. How is it for engine temperature?

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I can't imagine the 2.5L and 2.4L TBs being the same, but don't know, so you'd have to take a look at two images.

That said, I did swap out my TB with one from a 4.0L. I would argue that it did a great job in conjunction with my "cold air" intake and my Dynomax cat-back exhaust. I've got the 5spd, 4.10s, 33x12.5 MTs, 4"+ of lift, and am still getting 18mpg in town. AND I use 5th gear far more than folks I wheel with that have the same lift/tire setup with a 2.5L.

Eric p.s. That said, I'm still dying for some 4.88s....

Reply to
Eric

I forgot, I also used the snake-oil throttle body spacer. Although I don't claim that did much good... Just been too darn lazy to pull it out and turn it into a paperweight.

Reply to
Eric