200 Jeep Cherokee turn signal problem

For about 2 weeks now my right turn signal has been blinking really fast. I replaced the bulbs all around, still happeneing. The flashers work they just blink fast, also when I put my left turn signal on, both turn signal flash. Any ideas? Should I buy the bulb grease and clean the connections? Thanks

Bryan

2000 Cherokee
Reply to
bspear78

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I would change the flasher next just to see. Then I too would be thinking column switch or maybe even a pinched harness if you have a trailer hitch with trailer light wiring?

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame and everything else in '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

While fast blinking is indicative of a bad connection at the bulb, bad bulb, connector, or corrosion in the harness. When both blink it indicates a ground problem. Your left turn signal is seeking ground through the other lamp and causing both bulbs to flash. The greater the resistance the faster a blinker module will blink.

Follow the 18 Gauge black wire back to the chassis ground. It might be as simple as corrosion in the wiring harness. Finding the problem is a matter of tracing everything back.

Also double check the lamp holders to make sure none have melted.

Reply to
DougW

I would first check all of the contact points at the bulbs. Make sure you are getting contact where the bulb seats. If it looks even a little fishy, clean the contacts and try again.

Bulb grease... why did that make me think of blinker fluid?

K.

Reply to
Kate

DougW has the best asnwer so far.

Turn the lights ON, then test the blinker. Also, press the brake pedal and test the blinker.

You have an electrical load issue -- high resistance. You need to be looking for a corroded ground somewhere. I'd suspect the tail lamp assemblies first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland