2000 Grand Cherokee - New computer - P1685

I have been having issues with my 2000 Grand Cherokee V6 that several shops advised would be replaced by installing a new computer. I was having sporadic cylinder misfires, odd stalls, and a weird one where I would turn the key to the off position and remove the key and the jeep would keep running.

Anyways, I bought a new computer from a salvage yard and just finished installing it. THe Jeep starts up great, but then dies out with a P1685 error. I know that that means SKIM error and that obviously the new computer doesn't recognize the key I use.

The question I have now is, what next? Do I have to take it to the Jeep dealer to have the computer programmed? Or can I take it to my local guy that I trust?

Any help is much appreiciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
michael.haskins

Not 100% on this. I believe it takes the dealership programmer to reset the SKIM code.

Reply to
DougW

That sucks. The closest dealer (by far) to me wanted to charge $1200 to replace the ECM in the first place which is why I went to a salvage yard. I wonder if they'll still try to charge me the full amount if I have my car towed in.

Reply to
michael.haskins

From what I read, you should get a P0513 Invalid SKIM Key or P0633 SKIM Key Not Programmed

Sure you have every wire hooked back up with no bent pins?

If there was no feed you would get P1686 No SKIM BUS Messages Received

Be Careful.. start it with the wrong key six times and it will require a trip to the dealer.

I wonder if you have a simple steel key (no skim) AKA, a Valet key, you should be able to get to the dealer. (I would call to confirm this)

This might help.

-----------

801505 - POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INITIALIZATION

Date: 03/02/05

Model Year(s): 1999-2004

Description: NOTE: The model years and vehicles above must be equipped (optional) with Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System (sales code GXX) for this bulletin to apply. When a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is replaced on vehicles equipped with the Sentry KeyT Theft Deterrent System, it must be initialized to properly function with the anti-theft module. This is accomplished at a Chrysler Group Dealer by using the DRBIII® or StarSCANT Scan Tool to enter a PIN number.

When the PIN number is not available from the vehicle owner or a Chrysler Group Scan Tool(s) is not available this can be accomplished by writing the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) into the PCM using an after-market scan tool with a "VIN Write Function". More information is available from the scan tool manufacturer or the Equipment & Tool Institute.

NOTE: After performing this procedure with an after-market scan tool on vehicles equipped with Chrysler Group's Next Generation Controller (NGC), Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) "P0633 - SKIM SECRET KEY DATA NOT STORED IN PCM" will be set. This DTC will not effect vehicle or system performance and cannot be erased.

Reply to
DougW

Neither.

I would recommend you put the computer back in and change the broken ignition switch.

The fact you can remove the key without shutting down the engine just 'screams' broken or loose ignition switch. The stalls also...

You also might want to look 'real' close at that 'V6' engine....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I have been having issues with my 2000 Grand Cherokee V6 that several
Reply to
Mike Romain

Here are a list of my current symptoms: (They only present about 30-40% of the time that I am driving)

  1. Occasional stalls during slow sharp turns or reverse
  2. Rough ride, with RPMs jumping all over the place
  3. Codes for cylindar misfires
  4. When I hit 70 mph exactly, car goes in to freewheel until it gets below around 67 mph

This has been going on since Thanksgiving. I have had the following work done so far:

  1. New crankshaft sensor
  2. Throttle body clean
  3. New spark plugs/coils
  4. Engine reflash

The ECM I got was only $100 bucks, so I figured I'd give it a try. The techs at all the places I have been to say that it isn't the ignition switch, but I will ask again when I go in tomorrow to get my ECM reprogrammed.

Reply to
Ingram Developers

Are the symptoms related to how much gas you have in the tank? eg. works better with a full tank, stalls with an almost empty tank. It might be a defective the fuel pump, causing low fuel pressure to the injectors.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

I'm trying to figure out how you got a 2000 Grand Cherokee with a V6 engine.

Reply to
XS11E

My bad. Typing while tired.

Reply to
Ingram Developers

OK, I was wondering if you'd used the way back machine* to put a 2005/6 engine in your 2000 Jeep.

*If you don't know Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman do a google search on The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
philthy

replying to XS11E, jerry reibleinjr wrote: I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee how is this wierd #9 years later? Mines a v6

Reply to
jerry reibleinjr