2000 Jeep Cherokee dash

Hi All,

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that has never really given much issue. Today I am driving down the road and I look down to see my red airbag light on. Of course this freaks me out enough on its own. In a matter of seconds my yellow engine looking light is also on and my speed and rpm gauges are dead. Is this some sort of power failure or short? Anyone else had an issue like this?

TIA,

rhltechie

That is supposed to be a Wrangler 'defect', not a Cherokee's, but anyway on the Wrangler if you thump the dash it will go back normal for a while.

The problem on them is the harness plug for the dash circuit board is the wrong size so it comes loose. There is a new plug available to fix it, but it can be fixed by removing the plug and bending the pins in a twist just slightly. This twist makes the pins fit the socket tight. Dielectric grease is recommended on this fitting when putting it back together.

Yours might be different, but it sure sounds the same. Airbag light on and no gauges.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

In article , wrote: #Hi All, # #I have a 2000 jeep cherokee that has never really given much issue. #Today I am driving down the road and I look down to see my red airbag #light on. Of course this freaks me out enough on its own. In a matter #of seconds my yellow engine looking light is also on and my speed and #rpm gauges are dead. Is this some sort of power failure or short? #Anyone else had an issue like this?

Your generator (no, it's not a alternator...) died. You are now running on just your battery's power. As the juice goes down, systems start to shut off to keep the ignition going.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in and charge me $50 just to take a look to see what is wrong as they have never heard of this before,...which I thought strange to begin with. I really just hate having to pay maybe over $100 for some loose wires...grrrr

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
rhltechie

I called the dealer and of course they want me to bring it in and charge me $50 just to take a look to see what is wrong as they have never heard of this before,...which I thought strange to begin with. I

really just hate having to pay maybe over $100 for some loose wires...grrrr

I am uncertain if I could do this myself. I have taken the radio out before, but the dash deal sounds like it has tons of screws and such. does it sound worse than it is?

Thanks!

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
rhltechie

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Hi I have been looking all over the place and you described precisely how my 99 jeep cherokee is behaving. I've also lost power windows, locks, and the overhead computer as well. It has been sporadic, but it seems to be getting worse. I get 2 error codes from the switch, 1686 (No messages received from the Smart Key Immobilizer Module) and 1687 (No messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster module).

Just wondering if you had ever figured out the problem, I'd like to avoid the $$ for the dealer diagnostic.

Thanks for the help, M

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mfronck

Hi I have been looking all over the place and you described precisely how my 99 jeep cherokee is behaving. I've also lost power windows, locks, and the overhead computer as well. It has been sporadic, but it seems to be getting worse. I get 2 error codes from the switch, 1686 (No messages received from the Smart Key Immobilizer Module) and 1687 (No messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster module).

Just wondering if you had ever figured out the problem, I'd like to avoid the $$ for the dealer diagnostic.

Thanks for the help, M

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mfronck

I would suspect a bus problem.

Reply to
bllsht

Probably a bad ground jeeps are known to have ground problems

Craig

bllsht wrote:

Reply to
Craig