2000 TJ transmission problem

I have a 2000 tj sport, 4.0L engine, manual transmission with 99000 miles and maintained consistently. Here are my observations:

Jeep still with motor running + neutral + accelerator pressed = normal vroom.

Jeep in motion + neutral + accelerator pressed = normal vroom

Jeep in motion + any gear (1,2,3,4,5) + accelerator pressed = some kind of helicopter noise. This noise seems to get progressively louder as the gears move up.

Jeep in motion + any gear + coasting (no acceleration) = no noise.

Any ideas?

Reply to
jeepster1974

does it sound like a Bell helicopter or "AirWolf" ??

Reply to
J. Sprauer

like the propellers whirling at a consistent pace, but with a metalic clank added

Reply to
jeepster1974

like the propellers whirling at a consistent pace, but with a metalic clank added

Reply to
jeepster1974

I am assuming the transmission is the problem because the noise seems to come from the center of the jeep

Reply to
jeepster1974

I would check your exhaust manifold for a crack. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Does it still drive OK, other than the noise?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Other than the noise, it drives fine.

Reply to
jeepster1974

I would check out the exhaust manifold.

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Well we had a sound that could be described the same when we tore an engine mount on the drivers side.

This allowed the engine to shift over enough that the exhaust pipe was hitting on the front driveshaft u-joint. It only hit under throttle.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news:43F5D662.E68EC379 @sympatico.ca:

What happens at speed ? if you take it out of gear and freewheel is the noise still there ? If you just touch the brakes, not push them, does it go away ? Not sure on the 00TJ's but the last two we put SYE's on at lift partys,

04 and 05 both had these harmonic balancers on the rear output shaft, similar to the front harmonic balancer, inside bushing, rubber wheel and a steel one on the outside similar to concstruction to the front one on the engine only bigger [6mm bolts to remove them by the way]. Neither of our 97TJ's have them and I don't remember there being one on a 98 we did on a weekend lift party couple months ago. It could also be a universal, they can get noisey before they fail under load.
Reply to
Rich Pierson