2000 XJ won't hold idle...sometimes

So heres my situation:

One time I was gonna start the XJ and my hand slipped and didn't get it to fire, so I tried again and it fired fine but wouldn't hold idle so it died. Now, whenever that happens the only way to fix the problem is to hold the gas for at least a minute, let off, at which point the engine dies, BUT at that point you crank it again and there ya go! the engine idles, runs fine and you're on your way. No check engine light, seems to me like something electrical, since the whole holding the gas as a fix to the problem suggests that I may be resetting the computer or something, anybody seen this before? I don't think its fuel pump or filter, or starter or injectors, the car runs fine, idles fine after that in all situations, it only affects starting and only under those circumstances. Any ideas? since I don't want to pay a mechanic to tell me ''yeah the diag didn't show anything, that'll be X dollars''... I can do that here hehe

Thanks folks

Reply to
YeahBuddy

fuel rail pressure regulator valve stuck open ?

Dave Milne

I would be cleaning the electrical connections on the throttle body. They are tiny computer pins and get corroded easy. I use a spray contact cleaner on them and then use dielectric grease on the plug seal to help keep moisture out.

The TPS sensor can cause racing and stalling when the connection is dirty. 'Dirty' is a relative thing. Mine was causing trouble and didn't 'look' dirty, but a clean fixed it anyway.

Mike

YeahBuddy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

I agree with Mike. That sounds like a TPS issue

Holding the peddle down is a reset and the way you tell the ECU not to provide fuel if you flooded the engine.

Your Idle Air Motor/Passage might be dirty too.

DougW

I have a similar problem after i have to jump start the my 99tj, i have to hold it above idle for quite a while before it will run on its own. could this also be the tps sensor connections or is it something else?

david

Reply to
David Owsley

If you've drained the battery, you have also reset the engine computer. It will not run quite right until the computer relearns everything.

Jerry

David Owsley wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

David Owsley did pass the time by typing:

Next time this happens turn the key to on (not start) then move the gas pedal all the way to the floor and back about three times (fairly slowly). Then take your foot off the gas and start the Jeep.

Your ECU lost memory. Although usually this doesn't happen. (and the info I gave above doesn't always work) it's for an earlier version.

Reply to
DougW

That is just the computer trying to learn to idle again.

I don't know if this works for Chryslers, but it works for the older GM's to reset it fast. You drive for 5 miles at less than 30 mph, then pull over and shut it down. Start it back up and drive another 5 miles under 30 mph and shut it down. Then start it up and floor it up over 30 and drive normal from there on.

This will make an older GM computer purr at idle again.

Mike

David Owsley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Wonder if the battery is still a bit low and the pcm is widening the injection pulses to compensate?

Jerry Bransford proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Nah, that's not how it works.