2001 GC New Shocks - Rear Sway Bar Loose?

About a month ago, I had new shocks intstalled on my 2001 GC. Since then, I keep hear a pounding noise whenever I hit the slightest bump (riders side, rear). I poked around and it seems like the rear anti-sway bar is a bit loose and may be the source of the sound.

Question: When new shocks are installed, does the anti-sway bar need to be unhooked or loosened?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Reply to
GKrebill

Yes, usually it has to be released on one side to lower the axle enough to easily change the shock. For sure it has to go if the spring needs moving.

Mike

GKrebill wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

GKrebill proclaimed:

Could be. Also may want to check for shiny spots along the exhaust where it makes that quaint little kink up and over the axle and swaybar. Usually can be fixed by replacing the rubber exhaust mount. Stiffer shocks can be just enough to get a small whack where the old ones wouldn't.

Can't imagine why.

Have the shock mounts checked as well, to make sure they aren't loose, or have the wrong bushings. It could also be a bad shock. Brand any model of shock might spring loose something from someone else that ran into the same issue as you.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
ppdavid

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Just a thought gents, but when was the last time you greased your rear driveshafts? If you have a fixed yoke and I think you do, the slip joint on the driveshaft will clunk if the grease gets dry.

Mike

ppdavid wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi,

Anti-sway bars can sometimes slip laterally. Here's one cure:

Steve

GKrebill wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks for all the replies for far...This thing has been driving me nuts for a couple of months. I've checked everything mentioned. The Midas guy thought it was from loose inside panels. I've checked all of those....Put foam rubber around my CD changer, tightened every screw, and a put a cushion on top of my spare tire. The bumper panel on that side seems a bit loose and it put a piece of rubber between it and the frame, but it didn't help!

Reply to
GKrebill

Well, I just spoke to my friendly Jeep service advisor. He said it sounds like the control arm. There's one on each side with ball joints looking like a V pointing inward. I have an appt Wed am. Will post an update then.

Thanks again for all the input.

Reply to
GKrebill

Reply to
mic canic

To update you helpful people....As it turns out, one of the new rear shocks installed was defective. The Jeep dealer test drove it and put it on the lift to confirm it. Pissed, I took it back to Midas and they had to order a new one, but I'm glad to finally resolve it.

I can now remove the towels around my spare tire and CD changer!

Thanks for all the help. It's almost time to "play" in the Michigan snow!

Reply to
GKrebill

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III