2001 GC - P/S leak

Our son was home for Easter. He has our old 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Noticed a spot on the street. Opened hood. Looks like the Power Steering "area", just under the air intake & box filter. The P/S stick was low, so guessing the O-ring or seal is leaking.

What can he refill it with ? And any other observations to watch ?

Reply to
ps56k

Mopar stuff was $30+ online and people online said they'd go to the dealer and the dealer would put in ATF+4 since thats what the newer WK Jeeps use which will seize the pump/fan in a WJ Jeep.

I'd rather trust looking up the spec sheet online for 2001 GC, than someone at a dealership who may or may not know or care.

Reply to
ps56k

You are correct in being concerned, ATF+4 is not for that model year.

I'd ask the dealership if they would warranty any replacement due to the wrong fluid being used and put that in writing. Which of course they probably won't do.

All things WJ.

Mopar P/N 04883077 Hydraulic fluid / Power steering fluid (MS5931)

From what I have heard it's the 4.7 that needs the MS5931 P/S fluid since that also runs the hydraulic fan, and that the 4.0 can use regular P/S fluid. I sort of doubt that and would actually see what's written on either he P/S fill cap or on the radiator support shroud as the recommended fluid.

That being said, a quick google shows this (among others)

Says it supports that spec. Best thing I can say is when in doubt use the OEM part.

I'm also not a fan of leaks apart from the occasional oil marking. P/S fluid can be coming from lots of places. Often the pump bushing. Best thing to do is to wipe down all the hoses and then check later for leaks. Due to the pressures (injection hazzard) (and proximity to spinning things with sharp edges and no remorse) you should never feel for leaks with the engine turning.

Reply to
DougW

from the kid..... Valvoline bottle says Chrysler 5931 approved on the bottle label. Refilled and haven't seen any leaks, tank is slightly pressurized when checking.

Will keep an eye on it

Reply to
ps56k

well - it appears to be leaking from somewhere or something... as he just called and said there is a puddle. He has the correct fluid, and fills it up, but I guess it's going to have to visit the shop at some point.

Any common failures for this 2001 GC from around the P/S pump, hose, tank, etc ?

Reply to
ps56k

marking.

proximity

Got to search, could be anywhere, or even a cracked reservoir. There were problems with the o ring seals between the reservoir and pump. Just start following the drip back.

Reply to
DougW

He finally took it to a local shop - It was the hose - a little nick/crack.

They asked if he smelled anything burning, as it appeared to be spraying onto the manifold and could have started a fire.

Reply to
ps56k

just another followup - wondering about the "red" fluid ?

Reply to
ps56k

Depends where it's dripping from. Transmission, Transfer Case*. *depends on the case but my 93 uses ATF fluid.

You can get leaks at the output shaft for the transmission, the input shaft for the transfer case, and either of the output shafts. Although the rear is more likely to leak.

Mostly an annoyance caused by seals wearing.

Unless the leak is up by the transmission cooler. On some ZJs that's integrated into the radiator and that connection can break or the O ring seals can start to leak.

Reply to
DougW